Random question from mechanical ignoramus

Author: Jérémy
Date: May 13, 2010 16:53

What are the advantages and disadvantages of dry clutches vs. wet clutches
for bikes? I've just noticed that my RT has a dry clutch, but the K1300GT
has a wet clutch.

I'd hazard a guess that a wet clutch is more resistant to heat damage from
slipping, and a dry clutch allows longer service intervals because of
reduced oil contamination, but why would a manufacturer use different ones
on bikes with approximately the same purpose?

--
Jeremy
R1200RT

Author: Grimly Curmudgeon
Date: May 13, 2010 18:05

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Jérémy" b.com> saying something
like:

Author: Mike Buckley
Date: May 13, 2010 19:47

In message 4ax.com>, Grimly
Curmudgeon REMOVEgmail.com> writes

Author: Grimly Curmudgeon
Date: May 13, 2010 21:29

drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Buckley hotmail.com>
saying something like:
>Makes me wonder why cars don't have wet clutches. Even high performance
>cars have dry clutches?

They've got a large bellhousing. Practically, the Beemer bike clutch is
as big as you could go on a bike. Car clutches can have really heavy
springs on them, which is mitigated by the pedal leverage and in extreme
cases, a hydraulic servo.
no comments
Re: Random question from mechanical ignoramus

Author: Jérémy
Date: May 13, 2010 21:44

Grimly Curmudgeon REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in

Author: Grimly Curmudgeon
Date: May 13, 2010 22:02

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Jérémy" b.com> saying something
like:
>So why would you ever use a dry clutch?

Cheap and simple to make, can handle large amounts of torque, suitably
designed. Of all the advantages, none holds more sway for the makers
than the 'cheap' bit.
no comments
Re: Random question from mechanical ignoramus

Author: malc
Date: May 13, 2010 23:11

Re: Random question from mechanical ignoramus

Author: Andy Bonwick
Date: May 13, 2010 23:41

On Thu, 13 May 2010 14:53:42 GMT, "Jérémy" b.com> wrote:
>What are the advantages and disadvantages of dry clutches vs. wet clutches
>for bikes? I've just noticed that my RT has a dry clutch, but the K1300GT
>has a wet clutch.

Dry clutches sound great when they're rattling like a bag of spanners.
no comments
Re: Random question from mechanical ignoramus

Author: Hog
Date: May 14, 2010 00:35

Author: wessie
Date: May 14, 2010 01:25