Re: The cost of drug prohibition in Mexico

Author: Cynic
Date: Dec 24, 2008 17:42

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:12:57 -0000, "Aidy"
wrote:
>> Nonsense. Heroin is already sold by commercial companies for
>> medicinal use (morphine), and is sold at a fraction the cost of street
>> drugs., so once again your speculation is contradicted by the facts.
>How much does medicinal morphine cost and how much does the equivalent in
>heroin cost?

They are the same drug.
> Also what luxury taxes and duties are levvied on medicinal
>morphine? Also how much is spent on advertising and packaging for medicinal
>morphine?

Apart from taxation, negligible. And though I realise that our
government *will* tax it to buggery, it will represent an additional
income for the government without a coresponding loss elsewhere, so I
see no reason why it *should* be overly taxed.

Taxation past the point of affordability for the average person is
counter-productive, because people will not pay the price of the legal
stuff. So taxation will remain below the level where the drug becomes
unaffordable to people on a normal budget.
Show full article (2.07Kb)
5 Comments
Re: The cost of drug prohibition in Mexico

Author: Aidy
Date: Dec 24, 2008 18:52

> They are the same drug.

Nice dodge.

Ok, how much is a hospital charged for buying morphine from their supplier,
and how much is a user charged from their dealer for heroin?
> Apart from taxation, negligible. And though I realise that our
> government *will* tax it to buggery, it will represent an additional
> income for the government without a coresponding loss elsewhere, so I
> see no reason why it *should* be overly taxed.

Every budget people think the same about fags and booze. Every year the
taxes go up.
> Taxation past the point of affordability for the average person is
> counter-productive, because people will not pay the price of the legal
> stuff. So taxation will remain below the level where the drug becomes
> unaffordable to people on a normal budget.

For sure it's a balance, again finely demonstrated by the strong black
market for cigs, DVDs etc. Your local dealer is always going to be cheaper
than your local chemist though. So doesn't it stand that people will still
buy drugs from illegal sources rather than official ones? Putting us right
back where we started?
Re: The cost of drug prohibition in Mexico

Author: Ollie Clark
Date: Dec 24, 2008 19:49

Aidy wrote:
>> They are the same drug.
>
> Nice dodge.
>
> Ok, how much is a hospital charged for buying morphine from their supplier,

The NHS pays about 40GBP per gram from a highly profitable duopoly. Dutch
hospitals pay around 6-7GBP per gram.

http://www.ukhra.org/statements/diamorphine_shortage_uk.html
> and how much is a user charged from their dealer for heroin?
no comments
Re: The cost of drug prohibition in Mexico

Author: JohnR
Date: Dec 25, 2008 01:43

Author: JohnR
Date: Dec 25, 2008 02:03

Author: Cynic
Date: Dec 25, 2008 11:50

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:52:59 -0000, "Aidy"
wrote:
>> They are the same drug.
>
>Nice dodge.
>
>Ok, how much is a hospital charged for buying morphine from their supplier,
>and how much is a user charged from their dealer for heroin?

I do not know the exact prices, but the illegally supplied drug is
*hugely* more expensive than the legally supplied drug.
>> Apart from taxation, negligible. And though I realise that our
>> government *will* tax it to buggery, it will represent an additional
>> income for the government without a coresponding loss elsewhere, so I
>> see no reason why it *should* be overly taxed.
>Every budget people think the same about fags and booze. Every year the
>taxes go up.

Yet ordinary people (including the unemployed) can still afford to buy
them.