When can we use special relativity?

Author: fitz
Date: Nov 27, 2006 22:39

When can we use special relativity?

I'd like to have some comments on this.

But I think the simple answer is that we can use special relativity as
long as no force fields are involved.

Any comments?

Fitz
22 Comments
Re: When can we use special relativity?

Author: Sue...
Date: Nov 27, 2006 22:53

fitz wrote:
> When can we use special relativity?
>
> I'd like to have some comments on this.
>
> But I think the simple answer is that we can use special relativity as
> long as no force fields are involved.
>
> Any comments?
>

> Fitz

You use SR when there is significant motion in free-space
to cause Maxwell's time independent equations to exhibit
errors due to the finite speed of light. (PoR)

Time-independent Maxwell equations
Time-dependent Maxwell's equations
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/lectures.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_space
Re: When can we use special relativity?

Author: Bill Hobba
Date: Nov 27, 2006 23:29

"fitz" yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When can we use special relativity?

When no, or at the most only weak, gravitational fields are present.

> I'd like to have some comments on this.
>
> But I think the simple answer is that we can use special relativity as
> long as no force fields are involved.

No - eg it can be used when EM fields are present.

Thanks
Bill

> Any comments?
>

> Fitz

no comments
Re: When can we use special relativity?

Author: Sue...
Date: Nov 27, 2006 23:28

Bill Hobba wrote:
> "fitz" yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> When can we use special relativity?
>
> When no, or at the most only weak, gravitational fields are present.

Does gravity change retarded potential or the speed of light?

Sue...
Re: When can we use special relativity?

Date: Nov 27, 2006 23:59

"fitz" yahoo.com> wrote in message
| When can we use special relativity?

Never. No engineer will touch it with a barge pole with a sanity inspector
in the end, and never has.

| I'd like to have some comments on this.
|
| But I think the simple answer is that we can use special relativity as
| long as no force fields are involved.
|
| Any comments?

http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Rocket/Rocket.htm
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Smart/Smart.htm
no comments
Re: When can we use special relativity?

Author: fitz
Date: Nov 28, 2006 00:04

Sue,

I never expected to come across you here. By the way your book has been
sent. Good luck.

Fitz
Re: When can we use special relativity?

Author: Sue...
Date: Nov 28, 2006 00:18

fitz wrote:

Welcome to usenet!
[bottom posting moved accoring to usenet policy] :o)
Re: When can we use special relativity?

Author: Sue...
Date: Nov 28, 2006 00:32

fitz wrote:
> Sue,
>
> I never expected to come across you here. By the way your book has been
> sent. Good luck.
>
> Fitz

BTW, Dirk Van de moortel is some kind of psychotic that
thinks there are two posters on the n.g. himself and an imposter.
He even wagers with people they don't know their own Identity.
I think the bellhop paradox must have fried his brain.
I lucked out. He thinks I am Dennis McCarthy from USNO.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q...

I don't mind being confused with Dennis but I doubt he wants
to be confused with me so you have my standard disclaimer
on Dennis' behalf.

Sue...
Re: When can we use special relativity?

Author: Edward Green
Date: Nov 28, 2006 02:59

Sue... wrote:
> Bill Hobba wrote:
>> "fitz" yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> When can we use special relativity?
>>
>> When no, or at the most only weak, gravitational fields are present.
>
> Does gravity change retarded potential or the speed of light?

We can use SR locally in any old case, provided "local" is defined as
"not on such scales of time, distance and precision where SR begins to
fail"; in other words, we can use it, except when we can't. ;-)

Hmm... though what does that say about laboratories not in free fall?
I dropped my pencil... oops! Gravitational effect! Can't use SR!
Perhaps we can continue to use SR in some situations with significant
gravitational effects (like falling pencils), under an approximation of
Newtonian gravity; i.e., where a gravitational force is added by hand.
Re: When can we use special relativity?

Author: snapdragon31
Date: Nov 28, 2006 06:20

fitz wrote:
> When can we use special relativity?
>
> I'd like to have some comments on this.
>
> But I think the simple answer is that we can use special relativity as
> long as no force fields are involved.
>
> Any comments?
>

> Fitz
Use only when you want to pass your SR exam.
no comments
1 2 3