Group: sci.military.naval · Group Profile
Author: Jack Linthicum
Date: Aug 4, 2008 12:25

On Jul 27, 6:38 pm, tawcnysc gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> *
>> *
>> *
>
>> Photo Series start: Click on a picture (4 pictures)
>
>> t. It is not yet known that Lyrodus pedicellatus also German waters
>> The British, however, it is difficult to create. "Once we freilegen
>> [uncover] the wreck, it will be attacked," says the archaeologist
>> Parham. r. Even if he and his colleagues would do nothing, threatening
>> the nameless ship before Poole risk. . More and larger parts of the
>> remains are freigespült and fall as the destruction by the worm
>> prey. . "Everything is now free, until the end of the year severely
>> attacked," Parham is secure.
>
>> "There are no historical records"
>
>> This is especially tragic, because the reference is very important.
>> Underwater archaeologists fromBournemouthhave found that parts of
>> the wreck unusually richly decorated. Already, they have salvaged an
>> elaborate carvings of stern of the boat, sea man. They would prefer a
>> dive to salvage a much larger part of the ship. It is a matter of the
>> eight meters long and also richly decorated rowing to the surface.
>> This lack of money. So researchers are trying to at least parts of the
>> endangered wood cover, inter alia with sandbags and geotextiles made
>> of polypropylene and polyethylene.
>
>> ON-LINE TO THE MIRROR
>
>> At the same time explore the underwater archaeologists, as much
>> as possible, the history of sunken sailor. Presumably the ship was
>> from North Western Europe come and have merchandise on board had. The
>> analysis of a wood sample showed Parham so that the building of the
>> ship from the 16th Jahrhunderts stammt. Century. The trees from which
>> the wood originates, whether somewhere in the Dutch-German border
>> region has grown. t. Whether the ship was actually built there, the
>> researchers do not know.
>
>> Up to 400 people were on the sunken space transporter. But from a
>> ship disaster of this dimension is in the chronicles the vicinity of
>> Poole nothing to find. . "There are no historical records," says
>> archaeologist Parham - and hopes that he will have enough time to
>> resolve the fate of the mysterious ship to be clarified. Before the
>> drilling ship worms strike.
>

> we are hoping to find other carvings that could suggest the wreck
> looked like the outside of the Vasa. there are other carving like
> spirals on timbers. but the best carving is on the rudder which is 8m
> long but we need to secure conservation before removing all the insitu
> protection.
> I should mention that it forms part of a BSc Degree in Marine
> Archaeology and will form a large part in the new masters degree. we
> also take part in post excavation techniques and conservation of the
> smaller artefacts. as a result of this i am planning to create a
> website to showcase the artefacts found on the wreck.
>
> a few more links relation to the swash channel wreck:

http://www.archaeologynews.org/story.asp?ID=314242&Title=UK%%20DIVERS%%20DISCOVE...

UK DIVERS DISCOVER NEW THREAT IN OLD BOAT

Category: News

BOURNEMOUTH, DORSET, UK - 4 August 2008

Marine archaeology experts working on an old shipwreck near the mouth
of Poole Harbour in Dorset have also uncovered an environmental
threat- a type of woodworm normally native to the Mediterranean.

xbsn

BSN: 0832A
STORY: BOURNEMOUTH CARVING.
LOCATION: BOURNEMOUTH, DORSET, UK.
DATE SHOT: JULY 29, 2008.
TXN DATE: AUGUST 4, 2008
AUDIO: NATURAL SOUND AND ENGLISH SPEECH
DURATION: 3’40.

SHOT LIST:
(BOURNEMOUTH, UK)
1.Mid shot of boat leaving harbour.
2.Close up of boat skipper.
3.Mid shot of diver jumping into sea.
4.Close up of diver jumping into sea.
5.Close up of diver disappearing under the water.
6. Close up of student logging the dive.
7. SOT: (English Speech) super: Dave Parham, Senior Lecturer, Marine
Archaeology, University of Bournemouth.
“It’s a large…

8. Underwater shot of merman carving.
9.SOT: (English Speech) super: Dave Parham, Senior Lecturer, Marine
Archaeology, University of Bournemouth.
“We’ve found a number of finds…

10.Underwater shot of diver on the wreck.
11.Underwater shot of bags of articles recovered from wreck.
12.SOT: (English Speech) super: Dave Parham, Senior Lecturer, Marine
Archaeology, University of Bournemouth.
“We have an infestation…

13.Close up shot of diver underwater.
14.Close up underwater shot of carving being wrapped up.
15. Wide underwater shot of carving being carried away.

SUGGESTED INTRO:

Marine archaeology experts in the UK believe that Britain’s coast is
under threat from a warm water ship worm.

Scientists from Bournemouth University have discovered the worm in a
rare wooden carving found on a 17th century shipwreck off the Dorset
coast.

SCRIPT:

Marine archaeology students from Bournemouth University have spent the
last three summers mapping the Swash Channel wreck, which was found
after dredging near the entrance to Poole Harbour.

The vessel hasn’t been identified, but timbers of up to forty metres
high lie on the seabed, and the rudder suggests it had the height of a
three storey house.

As the sandbanks have shifted over time, the timbers have begun to
rise from protective layers of silt, providing the Marine
archaeologists with a fascinating site to study.

SOT: (English Speech) super: Dave Parham, Senior Lecturer, Marine
Archaeology, University of Bournemouth.
“It’s a large, probably a merchant man from the 1620’s that was
wrecked just outside Poole Harbour, and was found by the harbour
commissioners here in 2004. It’s been designated as an historical
wreck by English Heritage and it’s a project that we were asked to be
involved with by English Heritage and the harbour commissioners back
in the end of 2005, and we run it as a teaching project , the wreck is
actively eroding so its being uncovered naturally and we run a
teaching project in which the students learn about maritime
archaeology and the skills they need to undertake the discipline, and
it also enables the wreck to be recorded and material recovered and
recorded as it uncovers due to natural erosion.”

The archaeologists have recovered from the wreck a spectacular merman,
which was part of the decorative carving from the stern.

Its design suggests that the ship was built somewhere in North West
Europe, possibly the Netherlands or Scandinavia.

SOT: (English Speech) super: Dave Parham, Senior Lecturer, Marine
Archaeology, University of Bournemouth.
“We’ve found a number of finds, we’ve found bits of pottery, spoons,
and cannons but the most interesting thing we’ve found to date is a
carving of a merman that would have formed part of the stern
decoration of the ship, so it’s a wooden carving of a man with a
classical helmet and a fishes tail something quite spectacular, and
something that doesn’t tend to survive on shipwreck sites because its
part of the upper works of the ship which are quite often broken up
and float away or are left exposed on the sea bed and are eaten by
marine life, so in terms of a sort of relevance of discovery it’s a
nationally and possibly internationally significant find.”

The wreck now faces a serious environmental threat. Its surviving
timbers are being devoured by Mediterranean shipworms which are
thriving in the rising temperatures of Britain’s warming coastal
waters.

The marine archaeologists found the worms in the Merman carving, and
say they could pose a great threat to the UK’s coastline.

SOT: (English Speech) super: Dave Parham, Senior Lecturer, Marine
Archaeology, University of Bournemouth.
“We have an infestation of Mediterranean ship worms so due to global
warming the waters in the area are warming up and marine life from
elsewhere is coming into these waters and we discovered that these
things are present on the site. They are an inherent problem because
they destroy sites at a much greater rate than our traditional
indigenous species and they are a species that continues to eat woods
or in this case archaeological wood all year round. So what we find is
that material is uncovered as sand is taken off it is exposed it
becomes infested with these things and its rapidly degraded to the
point where you’ve got a honeycombed piece of wood with next to non
existent surface on it. So when we find things like the carving its
very important we either attempt to protect them on site or we recover
them.”

The ship is about to be included in a register of UK historic sites
that are at risk, which has been compiled by English Heritage.

It identifies parts of Britain’s historic environment that are
endangered, and attempts to preserve them.
(DC/MN)
no comments
diggit! del.icio.us! reddit!