World Soccers' 50 Greatest Derbies

Author: Sheridan Elliot
Date: Jul 15, 2008 20:57

50: Gremio vs. Internacional
49: Tenrife vs. Las Palmas
48: Mohun Bagan vs. East Bengal
47: Sarajevo vs. Zeljeznicar
46: ASEC Abidjan vs. Africa Sports
45: Anderlecht vs. Club Brugge
44: FC Copenhagen vs. Brondby
43: Alianza Lima vs. Universitario
42: Arsenal vs. Tottenham
41: Beitar Jerusalem vs. Hapoel Tel Aviv
40: Hajduk Split vs. Dinamo Zagreb
39: Barcelona vs. Emelec
38: Rapid Wien vs. Austria Wien
37: Basle vs. Zurich
36: Raja Casablanca vs. Wydad Casablanca
35: America vs. Deportivo Cali
34: Genoa vs. Sampdoria
33: CSKA Sofia vs. Levski Sofia
32: AIK Stockhold vs. Djurgardens
31: Ferencvaros vs. Ujpest ...
Show full article (1.81Kb)
48 Comments
Re: World Soccers' 50 Greatest Derbies

Author: SMT
Date: Jul 15, 2008 20:59

Author: Sheridan Elliot
Date: Jul 15, 2008 21:09

"SMT" yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've
> also been to Fla-Flu (Flamengo-Fluminense), huge game, which I don't
> see listed.

Tim Vickery's rationale for excluding it in favour of Flamengo-Vasco: "The
Rio de Janeiro derby best known abroad is Flamengo against Fluminense. This,
though, tends to overstate the importance of the latter, a club of the elite
who have had many gifted writers boosting their profile."

PS: Apologies for misplaced apostrophe in thread title, slip of the finger.
no comments
Re: World Soccers' 50 Greatest Derbies

Author: Paul C
Date: Jul 15, 2008 21:26

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:57:47 +0100, "Sheridan Elliot"
gmail.com> wrote:
>3: Celtic vs. Rangers
>2: Boca Juniors vs. River Plate
>1: Real Madrid vs. Barcelona

RM-Barca not a true derby by any stretch of the imagination.
no comments
Re: World Soccers' 50 Greatest Derbies

Author: William A. T. Clark
Date: Jul 15, 2008 21:43

In article registered.motzarella.org>,

Author: Paul C
Date: Jul 15, 2008 21:44

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:26:19 +0100, Paul C thersgb.net> wrote:

>RM-Barca not a true derby by any stretch of the imagination.

And I hadn't even noticed this gem:

Juventus vs. Fiorentina

!!!!!
no comments
Re: World Soccers' 50 Greatest Derbies

Author: Google Beta User
Date: Jul 15, 2008 21:47

wrote:
> 50: Gremio vs. Internacional

Anyone can tell more about this one?
> 41: Beitar Jerusalem vs. Hapoel Tel Aviv

Maccabi?
> 12: Juventus vs. Fiorentina

Huh? I was unaware of this rivalry/derby. Especially this high.
> 11: Marseille vs. Paris Saint-Germain

I have many francophone friends. They are ALL without exception
Marseille fans, and almost never talk about PSG or Lyon.
> 10: Partizan Belgrade vs. Red Star Belgrade
> 9: Betis vs. Sevilla
> 8: Al Ahly vs. Zamalek
> 7: Schalke vs. Borussia Dortmund
> 6: Lazio vs. Roma

I understand this is a cauldron.
> 5: Ajax vs. Feyenoord

Where do PSV fit in?
Re: World Soccers' 50 Greatest Derbies

Author: MH
Date: Jul 15, 2008 22:02

Author: SMT
Date: Jul 15, 2008 22:31

There are some "derbies" where theteams are not from the same city.
For example, Real Sociedad-Athletic. The Basque Country is small, it
only has two big cities, so that's the Basque derby. Same in the
Canaries (mentioned on the list). In Galicia, another small country,
it's Deportivo-Celta. Corunha and Vigo only have one big team each. In
Barcelona, it's Barcelona-Espanyol, which seems to have lost
excitement over the years.

Best,

smt
no comments
Re: World Soccers' 50 Greatest Derbies

Author: Sheridan Elliot
Date: Jul 15, 2008 22:57

"Red Moon" wrote in message
> "Sheridan Elliot" gmail.com> wrote:
>

> What is the souce of this list as there are several in here that are
> not derbies.
>
>>28: Liverpool vs. Manchester United
>>1: Real Madrid vs. Barcelona
>
> to name 2

It's World Soccer magazine as stated in the thread title. And "derby" is
interpreted differently throughout the world. If you balanced out the
regional variations you'd probably come up with a definition such as
"standout fixture between two teams from the same country sharing a strong
rivalry based on a history of mutual antagonism."
2 Comments
1 2 3 4 5