Clash of the Countries - Submit your roster

Author: milivella
Date: May 3, 2008 03:05

To enter this competition (I know, the names stinks, you can suggest a
better one), you have to submit one team (no more than one...), i.e.:
- A team name, and its three-letters abbreviations.
- A roster of 11 to 23 players [technically, esms accepts rosters of any
size]: you only have to write down a list of names (no positions etc.).

Here are the rules to pick the players, from the mouth of the man who had
the idea of this tournament, Mark V. (I'm only running it):

"Each team would have an affiliation with a country. The categorical
breakdown would be:

1)Country: Domestic players in home league
2)Country: Foreign players in home league
3)Country: Ex-pats (for some countries, i.e. Italy, England, it may be
difficult to put together a strong competitor)

A Spanish team in category 1, for example, might include the likes of
Casillas, Ramos, Joaquin, Villa et al
A Spanish team in category 2 could include the likes of Abbondanzieri,
Abidal, Ronaldinho, Eto'o et al
A Spanish team in category 3 could include the likes of Almunia,
Pique, Alonso, Torres et al"
Show full article (1.72Kb)
49 Comments
Re: Clash of the Countries - Submit your roster

Author: Futbolmetrix
Date: May 3, 2008 06:17

"milivella" gmail.com> wrote in message

Italians playing in the domestic league would have been the Italian national
team, minus Toni, Cannavaro and Zambrotta. Not much fun. Of course, I could
have coerced Totti and Nesta to come back from retirement, but what's the
point

Foreigners playing in Serie A: too many degrees of freedom, not fun. To make
it more interesting, one could just restrict the list to Brazilians playing
in Serie A. (J. Cesar, Doni, Kaka`, Pato, etc.)

But in the end I decided to go with the team with the cheesy name.

Team: I Paisa`
Abbreviation: PAI
Characteristic: Italians playing in foreign leagues

Roster:
GK Abbiati (Atletico Madrid)
GK De Sanctis (Sevilla)
GK Roma (Monaco)
Re: Clash of the Countries - Submit your roster

Author: Enzo
Date: May 3, 2008 06:46

Author: milivella
Date: May 3, 2008 11:37

Futbolmetrix:
> Characteristic: Italians playing in foreign leagues

Interesting!
> Roster:
> GK Abbiati (Atletico Madrid)

You don't need to specify the position, but it's OK. Indeed, the club is
useful: thanks!
> Decent starting 11, very very limited options up front and in midfield...

If you want to look for some other name, just to fill up your roster, you
could look at Gazzetta dello Sport's weekly column about Italians playing
abroad, e.g.
http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Estero/Primo_Piano/2008/04_Aprile/28/italiani.shtm...

--
Cheers

milivella
no comments
Re: Clash of the Countries - Submit your roster

Author: milivella
Date: May 3, 2008 11:47

Enzo:
> Was the poll results used to decide this ?

Yes, see
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.soccer/browse_thread/thread/1fe5a8b050a.../
(Yesterday I closed the poll and published the results.)
> will 2 participants be allowed to choose the same team?

With 1 team per RSSer, I'd say that it's automatically discouraged to
choose a team already picked.
> I do realize that my objection to allowing the same
> player to be used in multiple submissions is a non-issue
> because of the choice of theme here.

Well, but e.g. Kaka could be chosen as foreign playing in Italy or as
Brazilian ex-pat... I'd say that who don't like to have the same player in
two different teams should not choose a player already picked. I don't know
if having "clones" is a problem for everybody, or for the majority: if so,
your proposal should become an official rule.
> Characteristics - Uruguayans playing in foreign leagues

I like it!
Re: Clash of the Countries - Submit your roster

Author: Enzo
Date: May 3, 2008 12:21

Author: Jussi Uosukainen
Date: May 3, 2008 12:28

milivella gmail.com> blabbered::
> "Each team would have an affiliation with a country. The categorical
> breakdown would be:
>
> 1)Country: Domestic players in home league
> 2)Country: Foreign players in home league
> 3)Country: Ex-pats (for some countries, i.e. Italy, England, it may be
> difficult to put together a strong competitor)

Team: The Finnish Flashes
Type: Finns in foreign leagues

A bit of a sucer approach, since most of the NT plays abroad. But a
little bit of Patriotism never hurt anyone...

--
All of life's problems can be solved with two things - duct tape and
WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, you need duct tape. And if it

Author: Enzo
Date: May 3, 2008 14:43

So I read the nice summation of ESMS and it seems at
the moment only the roster is needed. The tricky and
more interesting part is the teamsheet which I assume
will be required before the game.

So here is my 23 man roster -

Team - Extranjeros
Abbreviation - EXT

Author: milivella
Date: May 3, 2008 17:50

Enzo:
> So I read the nice summation of ESMS and it seems at
> the moment only the roster is needed. The tricky and
> more interesting part is the teamsheet which I assume
> will be required before the game.

Yes. Starting to make the others informed, you'll be able to specify not
only the starting 11 and their position, and the bench, but also their
playing style and some conditional orders (and the penalty taker).
> Javier Chevanton

A favorite of mine! :)

--
Cheers

milivella
no comments
Re: Clash of the Countries - Submit your roster

Author: Benny
Date: May 3, 2008 17:52

> Subject : Clash of the Countries - Submit your roster
> From : milivella@gmail.com

Another suggestion, not sure if this has already been nominated. Squads
of domestic players who have not won full caps at international level.

http://soccer-europe.com
Rss feed : http://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml
no comments
1 2 3 4 5