Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy · Group Profile
Author: Mark Kent
Date: Dec 5, 2006 07:42

In today's digest, we have:
* Beware the Office 2007 Lockins
* Wintel Being Left Behind as AMD Quad Core Takes Crown
* GPL-Licensed Java Well Overdue
* Life is Sweet with Ubuntu Linux
* Why Microsoft's Open XML is a Joke
* Novell, Microsoft, and the Implications for Opensuse Devs
* Google Grabs Software Away from Desktop (to Platform-'Agnosticity')
* Iona Chooses Open Source, to Profit from Services & Support
* Samba to Leave Microsoft and Novell Behind
* IBM Could 'Steal' the Market with Linux
* OpenArea 0.6.0 Release; Available for GNU/Linux
* Vista Piracy Has Begun
* Is Yahoo Anti-Firefox?
* Security Concerns for Vista Already Emerge
* Ubuntu with Out-of-the-box Beryl/XGL, Winmodem Support
* Wide Linux Adoption is Inevitable
* Korea Uses Linux in Genome Project (for High Performance, Not Price)
* Linux Customisability Enables Tuning for better Performance
* Migration to Linux in Iranian Government?
* Firm Predicts Growth for Open Source Software in e-Learning
* Upgrade to Firefox the Better Solution Because IE7 Can Lead to Chaos
* Tech.Blorge Thinks Windows Vista is Just XP Service Pack 3
* Linux Users Apathetic, Windows Users Fearful Due to Vista
* Slashdot's Windows Privacy/Security Rants
* Windows Software Helps the Spies
* Novell Helps OpenDocument Sabotage, Supports Microsoft
* Reviewer Calls Ubuntu Linux "an Ideal Windows Replacement"
* Beryl/XGL Out of the Box with Live DVD (not Kororaa)
* Patents Shill Gets Soapbox on CNET (Microsoft Affiliated)
* OpenDocument Format (ODF) Officially Published
* NBC Finally Departs from Microsoft's Turf
* Everyone Can Switch to Linux These Days...
* XBox Still Struggles to Beat Playstation 2
* UBmatric Ambraces & Praises Open Source Paradigm
* INQ Benchmark: Vista Memory Requirements - Steep, Steep, Steep
* New Red Hat Partnership In India to Boost Linux
* Zenwalk Brings Changes to XFCE Usability
* Innovation Comes from Customer Control
* Media Properly Introduces the PlayStation 3: A Linux PC
* Linux Gets Easier and More Widespread

This is a digest of the previous 24 hours (GMT day) of [News] postings
in comp.os.linux.advocacy. If you have any comments, suggestions or
remarks, please reply to this message and I will take account of all
that I can. The digest is created from my leafnode news spool, which is
pre-filtered, so some poster's articles might not appear.

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Beware the Office 2007 Lockins
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 04:47:05 +0000

Beware of Geeks Bearing Gifts

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's take a closer look at the what is being offered as part of
| this "royalty free" deal from Microsoft....Not very open source
| friendly, is this? You can marry into the family and get
| protection from the Godfather, but you can't transfer this to
| anyone. They need to make their own accommodation with
| Microsoft. This makes me wonder about the Microsoft-funded
| ODF Add-in for Word that Clever Age and others are working
| on. This add-in does UI-level manipulations of the Office 2007
| ribbon. Are they covered under Microsoft's license program? Are
| their user's covered? What about anyone who takes the source code
| and modifies it and redistributes it?...This is very reminiscent
| of the original license on the Microsoft binary file formats,
| back in the days when the specifications were published on MSDN
| CD's...Interestingly in that case, once they achieved their goal
| of total market domination, Microsoft removed the file format
| documentation from MSDN and it was only available under a special
| license. They started open, in order to gain market domination,
| but once their goals were achieved, the openness ended. What
| prevents this from happening again?
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2006/11/beware-of-geeks-bearing-gifts.h

Also related to:

Ballmer: Vista to Spur 'Wave of Innovation'

,----[ Quote ]
| This includes new products like SharePoint Server 2007 and Exchange
| Server 2007, he said, adding that the new enterprise versions of
| both Vista and Office 2007 bring new capabilities such as
| enterprise services for Exchange and SharePoint.
`----

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%%2C1895%%2C2066535%%2C00.asp

The exit routes are available now, but the intent is to eliminate them.

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Wintel Being Left Behind as AMD Quad Core Takes Crown
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 04:58:54 +0000

AMD aims to reclaim CPU crown with 2007 quad-core

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the puzzle is coming together and suggests that AMD may have a
| shot at trumping Intel by mid-2007, at least until the blue team
| rolls out 45 nm chips.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/12/01/amd_aims_to_reclaim_cpu_crown/

They are Linux supporters.

merry x-mas amd (KDE Developer gets present from AMD)

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago I got a call from John Terpstra (you might know him
| from his work with the Samba project) who is currently working at
| AMD. During the conversation he asked what I was using for a
| development desktop and I told him I was just using my laptop
| these days. So they sent out an AMD Athlon 64 system and
| it arrived yesterday.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2006/12/merry-x-mas-amd.html

Related:

AMD to Design Microprocessors with Linux and HP Blades

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD's engineering design environment is based on an open architecture
| run and managed with Linux and open source tools. The HP BladeSystem
| solution running Red Hat Enterprise Linux was proposed and implemented in
| AMD's Sunnyvale...
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Hardware/AMD_to_Design_Microprocessors_with_L...

AMD gains, Intel fights back on supercomputer list

,----[ Quote ]
| Advanced Micro Devices has gained ground on Intel in a list of the
| world's 500 fastest supercomputers, but Intel's new Xeon 5100"
| Woodcrest" processor has quickly carved out a place for itself.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6135018.html

AMD reveals its future plans

,----[ Quote ]

`----

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] GPL-Licensed Java Well Overdue
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 06:21:45 +0000

The Unwritten Story Of Open Source Java

,----[ Quote ]
| What Sun finally did this week by releasing Java under GPL
| was a historic event. Using the GPL instead of yet another
| Sun license certainly makes adoption that much easier. But
| why did it take so long and why the change now?
|
| I left Sun in 2004 after 8 fun years at Javasoft. Open
| Source Java was a annual discussion at Sun and in many
| conversations with open source advocates and companies.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/308452.htm

Related:

101 Reasons Why Java is Better than .NET (Reloaded)

,----[ Quote ]
| # Public Domain APIs - Any Java public apis are part of the public
| domain, .NET apis are proprietary and can open the door to a law suit.
|
| # Standard Library Source Code Availability - Java source code for the
| core libraries are available in every J2SDK distribution, .NET sources
| can only be seen by resorting to illegal means.
`----

http://www.helpdesk-software.ws/it/29-04-2004.htm

Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Visual Basic has dropped 35%% since the spring, says a
| poll of more than 430 North American developers done by research
| company Evans Data.
|
| [...]
|
| Developers have abandoned Microsoft's Visual Basic in droves
| during the last six months, and they're using Java more than any
| other development language, according to a recently published
| survey.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196600515

TIOBE Programming Community Index for November 2006

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Life is Sweet with Ubuntu Linux
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 06:24:53 +0000

Life With Edgy

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, however, the upgrade has been about as problem-free as
| can be expected - in the case of the Savrow Katana and the desktop
| computer, there is a definite roughness around the edges; in the
| case of the HP Compaq nx7000, it's been an enhancement. Life with
| Edgy is nearly as sweet as it was with Dapper; depending on the
| machine, it's even sweeter.
`----

http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=111

First blog post in several months..

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Why Microsoft's Open XML is a Joke
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:25:56 +0000

Is Open XML a one way specification for most people?

,----[ Quote ]
| Who will implement Open XML correctly and fully? Maybe Microsoft.
| Why? Since it is essentially a dump into XML of all the data
| needed for all the functionality of their Office products and
| since those products are proprietary, only they will understand
| any nuances that go beyond the spec. The spec may illuminate
| some of the mistakes that have been made and are now being
| written into a so called standard for all to have to implement,
| but I'm guessing there might be a few other shades of meaning
| that will not be clear. Fully and correctly implementing Open
| XML will require the cloning of a large portion of Microsoft's
| product. Best of luck doing that, especially since they have
| over a decade head start. Also, since they have avoided using
| industry standards like SVG and MathML, you'll have to
| reimplement Microsoft's flavor of many things. You had
| better start now. So therefore I conclude that while Microsoft
| may end up supporting most of Open XML (and we'll have to
| see the final products to see how much and how correctly),
| other products will likely only end up supporting a subset.
`----

http://sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1145

Related news from the past month:

MA Governor-Elect Names MS Anti-ODF Lobbyist to Technology Advisory Group

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183

Why Free and Open Source Software is important to a global organization

,----[ Quote ]
| "Everybody uses Word, why use anything else it just causes trouble".
|
| This sentiment is very common today and is often repeated in one
| form or another as a justification to use Microsoft Products
| exclusively.
|
| To be fair there are organizations where this may in fact be the
| path of least resistance and in some cases may even be the right
| answer.
|
| However...
|
| In any GLOBAL organization there are several other factors that need
| to be considered before you decide it is just more convenient to use
| "Word". This is particularly true in a global organization dedicated
| to teaching the Bible. Why?
|
| Because by using the Word format you are indirectly forcing people to
| either spend money they do not have for MS Word licenses, or you are
| encouraging them to steal software from Microsoft by using pirated
| copies.
|
| Obviously both of these choices are unacceptable.
`----

http://quickworx.info/index.php/2006/11/05/why-free-and-open-source-software-is-important.../

ODFReader - Firefox Extension for Reading OpenDocument Files

,----[ Quote ]
| The extension is still very early in development and needs more
| effort to further its progress. However, it could go a long way
| to help the spread of ODF. Currently it handles OpenDocument text
| files, in the future it will handle the other types too. It is
| released under the LGPL/GPL. This ODFReader Firefox extension makes
| use of an XSL file.
`----

http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/11/05/odfreader-firefox-add-on-for-reading-opendocument.../

The Formula Issue in Detail (ODF)

,----[ Quote ]
| The concerns that ISO 26300 does not support Spreadsheet Formulas
| was a peculiar one. This commentary will show where this
| misunderstanding originates from***, and will hope to allay the
| fears. It will also go in technical detail in the two examples
| brought about from the Public Comment and TC4 presentation.
| Ultimately this commentary will dispel the myth that ISO 26300
| does not support Spreadsheet Formulas....We can conclude now that
| ISO 26300 does clearly specify a standard in describing formula
| specification, and the specification is not flawed in any way. As
| such we can continue to adopt ISO 26300 as a Malaysian Standard....I
| would fully recommend Malaysia to adopt this mature standard as a
| National Standard to increase the interoperability between the many
| office suites to provide more choice and competition for us users.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2006/11/the_formula_iss.html

Corel Announces "Have it Your Way" Format Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently, the only ODF compliant product that includes large-vendor
| service is Sun's more recently developed StarOffice office suite. And
| with the refusal of Microsoft to provide native support for saving to
| ODF, Microsoft customers will need to use plugins that have yet tor
| each the marketplace, and which may not provide completely seamless
| conversion.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061129100826208

Corel has a 'deal' with Microsoft, which is probably why it dropped Linux
support. It's just another Novell/Sun/SCO thing...

Florian Reuter's Weblog

,----[ Quote ]
| One very interesting area is OpenDocument Version 1.2. Currently
| the OpenDocument TC is working on the version 1.2 of OpenDocument
| which targets better interoperability. Very interesting and with
| great potential.
|
| Another interesting area is OpenOffice.org. I really believe we can
| improve OpenOffice.org?s interoperability by implementing OpenDocument
| Version 1.2 in OpenOffice. This is a community effort for sure, so I
| hope I can attract people participating in this effort.
`----

http://florianreuter.blogspot.com/2006/11/so-i-started-blogging.html

ODF Alliance Hails Brazil, India, Italy, and Poland for Recognizing
OpenDocument Format

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), a broad
| cross-section of organizations, academia and industry dedicated
| to improving access to electronic government documents, today
| applauded Brazil's decision to recommend ODF as the government's
| preferred format; India's decision to use ODF at a major state
| government agency; and Italy's decision to recognize ODF as
| national standard.
|
| The Alliance also recognized Poland, too, for demonstrating serious
| interest in adopting ODF in the wake of a national meeting held for
| its government with broad participants from industry and non-profit
| agencies.
`----

http://www5.sys-con.com/read/306120_p.htm

Novell statement on file formats for office applications

,----[ Quote ]
| We will also continue to contribute as part of the OASIS Open
| Document Format for Office Applications Technical Committee to
| enhance ODF and ensure that ODF standards are the premier file
| format standards for office applications.
`----

http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/fileformats.html

Why OpenOffice.org uses OpenDocument

,----[ Quote ]
| The documents that our users and customers create with OpenOffice.org
| belong them, not us. They, not us, must be able to read or process them
| in the near, far, and very far future. And they, not us, must have the
| choice to use whatever application they want to do so. And they, not us,
| have to bear the consequences if this is not given.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/why_openoffice.org_uses_opendocument

China has its own open document format

,----[ Quote ]

`----

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Novell, Microsoft, and the Implications for Opensuse Devs
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 06:50:26 +0000

The Novell-MS Deal: What Happens *After* the 5 Years?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Google Grabs Software Away from Desktop (to Platform-'Agnosticity')
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:00:25 +0000

Google advances online software crusade

,----[ Quote ]
| The free-software approach poses a challenge to Microsoft Corp.,
| whose success revolves around sales of its long-dominant Windows
| operating system and Office suite. The programs -- including Word
| and Excel -- are installed on hard drives and information is
| usually stored locally as well.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061204/ap_on_hi_te/google_education

These applications support OpenDocument format, PDF, and beyond, so lockins
are minimal or inexistent. The Linux-hosted service is free (no forced
upgrades) and it should work alongside the Open Source office suites.

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Iona Chooses Open Source, to Profit from Services & Support
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:12:51 +0000

Iona open source ESB melds multiple technologies

,----[ Quote ]
| Through this model, the company will provide the software for
| free under an open source paradigm while selling subscriptions
| for ancillary services and support. In development for about18
| months, Celtix mixes in pieces from multiple open source
| projects and offers capabilities for service routing and
| messaging.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20061204/tc_infoworld/84082

More businsses are beginning to get it.

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Samba to Leave Microsoft and Novell Behind
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:42:22 +0000

The Ides of March Approaches for Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| So, Novell now has something concrete to ponder - on or about the
| 15th of March, 2007, they should expect to lose the right to
| distribute updates and improvements to the very software that
| gives them their precious "interoperability" with Windows -
| Samba. And they should expect other projects to follow,
| leaving Novell and Microsoft to maintain their own forks.
`----

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/04/the-ides-of-march-approaches-for-novell/

Shuttleworth comments on the deal in the Open Week IRC chats:

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/04/more-shuttleworth-on-novell-microsoft/

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] IBM Could 'Steal' the Market with Linux
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:48:54 +0000

IBM: You Don't Need a Computer to See Its Growth Potential -- Barron's

,----[ Quote ]
| Palmisano: "We have a top share in servers and Linux, No. 1 in blade
| servers, which is a huge growth area... No. 1 in supercomputing, No. 1
| in SOA... We're No. 1 in middleware... IBM is a stronger company today
| than it was four years ago, with stronger margins, solid cash and
| earnings." Barron's: You don't need a computer to know what that
| trend could do for IBM's shares.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061203/21632_id.html?.v=1

Recent:

IBM's Power Architecture Attracting More Linux Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM makes less revenue on servers sold with Linux, compared to
| those that ship with one if its commercial operating systems --
| such as AIX or OS 400 -- but that's offset by the company's
| growing Linux support practice. Linux compatibility also makes
| the company's servers accessible to a wider variety of users,
| such as educational institutions on limited budgets. "We
| benefit from the wider ecosystem that Linux is a part of,"
| says Jollans.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061202/tc_cmp/196601027

IBM Achieves Major "Linux on POWER" Milestone

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of tested, native applications available for the Linux on
| POWER platform has grown more than 200 percent in the last two years,
| marking it as a fast-developing new IT ecosystem.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/061201/0190250.html

Study: Developers Favor Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| "Regardless of what kind of developer you are, you're still trying to
| make a living, and target the operating system that?s controlling the
| market."
|
| However, in the most recent survey, the developers' forecast of their
| target platform has changed. For the first time, these developers said
| that in the next 12 to 18 months they expect to be developing more Linux
| apps than Windows apps.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3645766

The Best Blue Chip for 2007: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| Similarly, by tapping into the open-source movement, harnessing the
| power of its new software acquisitions, and understanding the
| immense potential of everything from SoulPad and the Smart
| Surveillance System to its supercomputers, IBM consultants
| are poised to provide their clients the tools and information
| they will need to stay competitive.
`----

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2006/commentary06111416.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit...
http://tinyurl.com/ydo29n

IBM profit rises 47%%; sales up 5%% to $22.6 billion

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%%7B6782D684%%2D7987%%2D4A...
http://tinyurl.com/ygajqo

,----[ Quote ]
| "We've moved past the ideology," said Sutor, in Salt Lake City
| Thursday to attend graduation ceremonies at Neumont University."
| Many people have figured out that there are a number of ways tom
| ake money from the 'open source' model."
|
| [...]
|
| The litigation has been characterized as part of a proxy war being
| waged by Microsoft against Linux, seen as a prime challenger to
| Windows. Microsoft has been a prime funding source for SCO, but
| earlier this month stunned open-sourcers by announcing a development
| pact for Novell's Suse-brand of Linux.
|
| IBM is watching the apparent about-face with interest - and
| skepticism. "I don't see [Microsoft] doing very much yet for open
| source that isn't at arm's length," Sutor said. "Possibly this is
| a way of perpetrating previous [anti-Linux] strategy while
| superficially looking better."
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4679245?source=rss

Is IBM open source's little friend?

,----[ Quote ]
| ...That is because one of the big post-Linuxworld features is all about
| IBM, and how IBM is going to use open source to beat big, bad Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| The story, from Motley Fool, says IBM is going to get Linux running faster
| on its proprietary chips, go after smaller customers using the cost
| benefits of open source, and push an "open health care framework" to
| push computers into smaller medical offices.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=758

Ballmer rattles intellectual property saber at Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] OpenArea 0.6.0 Release; Available for GNU/Linux
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:11:38 +0000

OpenArena 0.6.0 released

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.moddb.com/19480/openarena-060-released/

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Vista Piracy Has Begun
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:24:50 +0000

Illegal KMS server appears on the Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| So what does this mean? Well hopefully Microsoft can get the
| server shut down in pretty short order, and even if they can't
| then the key will likely get flagged and anyone that has used it
| will no longer be able to download anything that requires
| Windows Genuine Advantage.
|
| I think we might see the occasional rogue KMS server that
| Microsoft has to shutdown, but the real question is....Do you
| think Microsoft will succeed at protecting Windows Vista from
| large scale piracy?
`----

http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/joshs_blog/archive/2006/12/03/illegal-kms-server...

The question should not be "will it success at protecting Windows Vista from
large scale piracy?", but "will it WANT to protect Windows Vista from large
scale piracy?" It could do this selectively (depending on region). See items
below.

Related:

How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows

,----[ Article's summary ]
| Bill Gates may not be entirely dismayed by software thieves. They
| seed the world market and make Microsoft a standard.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tot...

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
| technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
| will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
| Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
| it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
| they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
| Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
| plans for world domination.
|
| It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
| of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html

Easy Way to Bypass Windows Genuine Advantage

,----[ Quote ]
| How to bypass Windows Genuine Advantage easily without patches or scripts
`----

http://www.youareadopted.com/wga/wga-bypass.html

Hackers Crack Microsoft's Antipiracy System

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Genuine Advantage system first exploited within 24 hours of
| its launch
|
| [...]
|
| A posting on the Boing Boing blog claimed that a JavaScript command
| string could bypass a check that Microsoft instituted Wednesday through the
| Windows Genuine Advantage 1.0 program.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,122058-page,1/article.html

Piracy aside, there are other factors in Microfoft's 'success' as well, e.g.:

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
|
| "It isn't illegal to be successful," Conlin said in opening
| remarks. "We applaud that. ... But you can't freeze out competitors
| and punish and retaliate against people who cooperate with
| competitors. Microsoft did all that and more."
|
| Conlin warned jurors that she would say some unflattering things
| about Microsoft and its billionaire founder Bill Gates, who
| serves as company chairman.
|
| [...]
|
| Conlin's first 3 1/2 hours of opening arguments delved deeply into
| computer industry history and how Microsoft fought off competitors
| attempting to design rival software.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

Politics and tech companies: follow the money

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft took first place with $651,100 given out, while
| Hewlett-Packard gave only $185,550, and Gateway gave a paltry
| $2,000. Microsoft's donations certainly illustrate well the true
| size of the company and the extent of its political concerns.
|
| [...]
|
| For instance, Microsoft's PAC spent $1.7 million in the 2006 election
| cycle, but only a third of this went to federal candidates. What
| happened to the rest? It went to local campaigns, paid out a few
| thousand dollars at a time to groups like "Boal for Iowa House" in
| Ankeny, IA. It also funded other PACs like the "Associated Republicans
| of Texas" and the "Blue Dog Political Action Committee." No race is
| apparently too small to be funded; even Indiana State Representative
| Terri Austin of Anderson, IN got $500.
| Lobbyists
|
| But the real money isn't even given to the candidates directly. It
| goes to lobbyists, which can be safer investments since they stand no
| chance of losing at the polls. The complete-year figures from 2005
| show that Microsoft spent $8.7 million on lobbyist expenses. Almost
| a million dollars of that money went to Covington & Burling, a
| lobbying firm that also represents the National Football League and
| the Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers of America. Microsoft's
| total spending on lobbying has risen substantially from the $4
| million it spent in 1998.
|
| [...]
|
| Where does it come from?
|
| Although some of this money comes from large employee donations,
| most of it does not. Take Microsoft, for instance; the Center for
| Responsive Politics says that the company received only $302,599
| from individual donors who gave more than $200 in this election
| cycle, only a small fraction of the $1.7 million actually spent.
| As is typical, much of this money came from the company's top
| brass, while the rest was made up of small contributions.
|
| The maximum individual contribution to a PAC is $5,000 a year.
| Melinda, whose occupation is listed in Federal Election Commission
| records as "homemaker," regularly contributes this amount, as does
| Bill. Steve Ballmer coughed up, too. Microsoft can use general
| company funds to support the PAC and its operations, but cannot
| give directly to candidates.
`----

Leaked letter warns of open source 'threat to eco-system'

,----[ Quote ]
| leaked letter to the European Commission has revealed the extent of
| lobbying by proprietary software groups to prevent the widespread
| adoption of open-source software.
|
| Sent in response to a recent report on the role of open-source
| software in the European economy, Microsoft-funded pressure
| group, the Initiative for Software Choice (ISC) warned of
| potentially dire effects if too much encouragement was given
| to open source software development.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7109

Report Says Nonprofits Sold Influence to Abramoff

,----[ Quote ]
| E-mails released by the committee show that Abramoff, often
| with the knowledge of the groups' leaders, exploited the tax-exempt
| status and leveraged the stature of the organizations to build
| support among conservatives for legislation or government action
| sought by clients including Microsoft Corp., mutual fund company
| DH2 Inc., Primedia Inc.'s Channel One Network, and Brown-Forman,
| maker of Jack Daniel's whiskey.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/12/AR2006101200889....
http://tinyurl.com/y2rbpu

Open Source Foes In Bed With Abramoff

http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/12/2036223&from=rss

Microsoft offers schools in Mass. free software (to stop ODF adoption)

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's software includes normal applications, such as word
| processing and spreadsheets, as well as more advanced programs.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6090196.html?part=rss&tag=6090196&subj=news

EU official joins consultancy serving Microsoft

http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2006-10-03T1...
http://tinyurl.com/h47g3

US ambassador to the EU was former Microsoft lobbyist

,----[ Quote ]
| Before C. Boyden Gray was named as George Bush's number one person in
| Europe, he was a lawyer lobbying on behalf of Microsoft.
`----

US politicians go to bat for Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/

Changing the Report, After the Vote

,----[ Quote ]
| That agreement was nearly imperiled last weekend, though. Gerri
| Elliott, corporate vice president at Microsoft's Worldwide Public
| Sector division, sent an e-mail message to fellow commissioners
| Friday evening saying that she "vigorously" objected to a paragraph
| in which the panel embraced and encouraged the development of open
| source software and open content projects in higher education.
`----

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks using
| online mavens to go into forums and create Web sites extolling the virtues
| of Windows over OS/2. They were dubbed the Microsoft Munchkins, and it
| was obvious who they were and what they were up to. But their numbers
| and energy (and they way they joined forces with nonaligned dummies who
| liked to pile on) proved too much for IBM marketers, and Windows wont
| he operating-system war through fifth-column tactics"
|
| Mr Dvorak wonders if Microsoft is today using reverse-dirty-tricks
| to promote the Xbox 360: pay people to create Web sites that slam the
| gaming computer in order to provoke a barrage of defenders.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Recent examples

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2001, the Los Angeles Times accused Microsoft of astroturfing
| when hundreds of similar letters were sent to newspapers voicing
| disagreement with the United States Department of Justice and its
| antitrust suit against Microsoft. The letters, prepared by Americans
| for Technology Leadership, had in some cases been mailed from
| deceased citizens or nonexistent addresses.
`----

A new Microsoft-commissioned anti-Linux study debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft seemingly has backed off from trumpeting its "Get the
| Facts" studies, as of late. But that doesn't mean the company has
| ceased commissioning research outfits to perform its anti-Linux dirty
| work.
|
| On September 25, Mercer Management Consulting released a new
| Microsoft-backed study. The study is entitled "Driving Lower TCO and
| Rapid ROI through UNIX Migrations." The synopsis: "Microsoft Windows
| the preferred choice for UNIX migration when IT organizations migrate
| servers as part of a focused effort to improve business processes,
| deploy critical applications or restructure their IT architecture."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/index.php?p=12

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
| soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
| ingredient -- other operating systems.
`----

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Is Yahoo Anti-Firefox?
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:45:29 +0000

Yahoo Pushing IE 7 on FireFox Users

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that Yahoo is pushing downloads of the new IE 7 from
| Microsoft and including itself as the default search engine installed
| in the file menu area.
|
| [...]
|
| While not having a large impact on the results or being that obtrusive
| of an ad it definitely pulls into question the alliances between the
| search engines and the browser wars going on. Google is still
| packaging FireFox with its free Google Pack offering that also
| includes the Google toolbar.
`----

http://searchviews.com/archives/2006/12/yahoo_pushing_i.php

They probably just promote their own build of IE (or toolbars), but someone
could clearly 'promote' this push.

Related:

IE7 Released As High-Priority Update

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/02/1424203&from=rss

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Security Concerns for Vista Already Emerge
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:49:32 +0000

Windows Vista crack is actually a trojan

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview about the Windows Vista installation process, and
| the ease with which administrators can pre-install software into
| a Vista install DVD, Microsoft Australia's John Pritchard warned
| that pirated copies of Vista could easily come with malware
| preinstalled.
`----

http://apcmag.com/node/4737

Another pro for free downloads, repositories, signatures, and checksums.

Since Vista launch:

Windows Vista's first malware warning

,----[ Quote ]
| Web-based email services expose Windows Vista
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7748

Three of the top ten malware threats run on Microsoft Vista, Sophos
tests show

,----[ Quote ]
| Sophos tested each piece of malware in the top ten on the Vista
| operating system to establish whether users running Vista without
| any third-party security software would avoid infection.
`----

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2006/11/toptennov.html?_log_from...

Microsoft stands by Patch Tuesday for Vista

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Microsoft_stands_by_Patch_Tuesday_for_Vista/0...

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Ubuntu with Out-of-the-box Beryl/XGL, Winmodem Support
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:54:09 +0000

Ubuntu begins its transformation

,----[ Quote ]
`----

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Wide Linux Adoption is Inevitable
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:56:25 +0000

Change is maddeningly inevitable

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/change_is_maddeningly_inevitable

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Korea Uses Linux in Genome Project (for High Performance, Not Price)
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 10:37:53 +0000

'Genome Project' Led by Open Source HPC

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39153485,00.htm

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Linux Customisability Enables Tuning for better Performance
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 10:49:31 +0000

Lightweight Linux for High-Performance Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Cray believes that this work will soon allow even the
| largest-scale supercomputing environments to benefit from
| using Linux at both the system level and on HPC compute
| nodes. In the long run, CNL may hold even greater potential,
| and may provide an ideal compute-node operating system that
| can benefit all HPC users.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/120406-lightweight-linux.html

Also today:

Linux vs. Catamount running ocean modeling application

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/120406-lightweight-linux-side.html

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Migration to Linux in Iranian Government?
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 10:51:43 +0000

TCI Min pursuing Persian Linux Project

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.taliyanews.ir/en/news/fullstory.asp?n=3900

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Firm Predicts Growth for Open Source Software in e-Learning
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 10:56:23 +0000

Kineo Predicts Growth in Open Source e-Learning and Provides Insights

,----[ Quote ]
| The e-learning industry is becoming increasingly attuned to the
| potential of open source. A US commentator has issued an open
| source e-learning report (although is charging for it), and it's
| a serious discussion topic at conferences from Online Educa in
| Berlin to TechLearn in the US.
`----

http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/11319/

Patent trolls like Blackboard (Microsoft friend) are the only danger to
eLearning projects that are FOSS (e.g. Moodle, Sakai).

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Upgrade to Firefox the Better Solution Because IE7 Can Lead to Chaos
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:08:47 +0000

IE 7 Cautionary Tale

,----[ Quote ]
| After updating to the new browser, none of the computers
| could access QuickBooks, the CRM system or e-mail. The IT
| manager had to remotely administrator each machine, from
| the U.S. He turned back to a restore point a day earlier,
| undoing the chaos caused by IE 7.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/web_services_browser/ie_7_cautionary_tale...
http://tinyurl.com/ycjw4k

No wonder many department forbid the installtion of IE7.

Related:

Microsoft still doesn't care about Web standards.

Why Microsoft Expression Web redefines irony

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://shifteleven.com/articles/2006/11/16/why-microsoft-expression-web-redefines...

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, this is absolutely devastating! As near as I can tell, the poor
| guy at Microsoft has been trying to support open standards against
| management. He doesn't say much about the history, i.e. the fact that
| Microsoft didn't do anything with IE until they were recently forced to
| by Firefox competition. The feedback is amazing. Example:
|
| Quote:
| -------------
| So if you believe that the reason for IE's lack of standards support is
| something other than malice of forethought to strangle other browsers,
| you are wrong. If you have followed the anti-trust trial you would have
| seen the actual evidence for these decisions. Microsoft is an
| anti-competitive company run by unethical shitheads.
|
| This won't change until the workforce is slashed and the entire company
| culture changes. Steve Ballmer is the king of the shitheads, so when he
| goes things might get better. But until then, expect MS to only do the
| absolute minimum to defuse the worst criticism. Remember my words:
| unethical shitheads.
| -------------
| End quote
|
| Erik cited this same guy's blog a few days ago to support the notion
| that Microsoft is dedicated to standards compliance and is doing the
| reasonable thing (I think that's why he cited it). The way this story
| has developed, it shows exactly the opposite, and is very revealing
| about sentiments out there in the developer world.
`----

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/cc1ad063dcc0400d

Microsoft removes IE7 for Windows XP from WSUS

,----[ Quote ]
| We have verified a problem in the metadata for the latest IE7.0 update
| rollup package...
`----

http://bink.nu/Article8933.bink

Wake up and smell the IE7!

,----[ Quote ]
| The results of our study suggest that around 12.7 million websites are
| in need of a little TLC because of IE7. Maybe even more.
`----

http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/design/wake-up-and-smell-the-ie7

IE7 'critical update' causes headaches for managed desktop environments

,----[ Quote ]
| As many organisations may not feel compelled to turn off automatic
| updates, they should be prepared to face this is issue when Internet
| Explorer 7 is downloaded and installed automatically.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/12/ie7_critical_update_managed_desktops/

IE 7 bugs abound

,----[ Quote ]
| "But browser testers may already be at risk, according to security
| researcher Tom Ferris. Late Tuesday, Ferris released details of a potential
| security flaw in IE 7. An attacker could exploit the flaw by crafting a
| special Web page that could be used to crash the browser or gain complete
| control of a vulnerable system, Ferris said in an advisory on his Web site.
| Microsoft had no immediate comment on Ferris' alert."
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6034054.html?part=rss&tag=6034054&subj=news

Which Is Safer: Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox 2.0?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the SmartWare test, Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 blocked 690
| known phishing sites, or 66.35 percent of the total. In contrast,
| Firefox blocked 78.85 percent when using a local antiphishing
| database and 81.54 percent when using the online database.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20061114/bs_nf/47901

Information disclosure bug blights IE7 release

,----[ Quote ]
| The flaw stems from error in the handling of redirections
| for URLs with the "mhtml:" URI handler. Security
| notification firm Secunia reports that the same bug
| was discovered six months ago in IE6 but remains unresolved.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/19/ie7_first_bug/

CLARION CALL: IE 7 Not Ready For Prime Time

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://saunderslog.com/2006/10/18/clarion-call-ie-7-not-ready-for-prime-time/

IE7 Released As High-Priority Update

,----[ Quote ]
| "Looks like FF2 is already outnumbering FF 1.5, while IE7 is having a
| hard time to find followers. Will today's release as a
| high-priority, force-fed update fix this issue?"
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/02/1424203&from=rss

Attackers end-run around IE security

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/08/ie_security_analysis/

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Tech.Blorge Thinks Windows Vista is Just XP Service Pack 3
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:31:38 +0000

Is the Vista 'Final' really RC3 in disguise?

,----[ Quote ]
| But with the true consumer and business launch slated for January
| 30, the current release feels like an excellent RC3 than the true
| finished product.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%%20/2006/12/03/is-the-vista-final-really-rc3-in.../

There you go. That's like the third time that a respectable site ponders if
Vista is just a service pack. We had this argument before.

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Linux Users Apathetic, Windows Users Fearful Due to Vista
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:36:58 +0000

Why I am afraid of Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dawn decided that Vista wasn't worth the upgrade if she didn?t even
| get the pretty bells and whistles, besides, using a computer without
| your mouse might be pretty annoying!
`----

http://www.philoking.com/2006/12/03/why-i-am-afraid-of-windows-vista/

There's a recurring theme here (scare/fear)...

Scary Technology: Microsoft Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| If ever an operating system needed the software equivalent of
| garlic and wolfbane to keep away evil spirits, Microsoft Windows
| would be it. It's a magnet for hackers, and hardly a week goes by
| without Microsoft issuing a software security patch, or a patch
| for the security patch, or a patch to patch the patch. The
| result is a Frankensoftware monster.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/fortune/scary_tech/5.html

Some Businesses May Be Slow to Take Vista Leap

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/6QIJIjrXcd3aAs/Some-Businesses-May-Be-Slow-to...

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Slashdot's Windows Privacy/Security Rants
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 13:35:33 +0000

Windows Live and Privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| It appeared to be an SUV, bristling with cameras mounted on the roof,
| and pointing just about every possible direction. The first time we saw it,
| all we could see was that it had a sign on the side, something about
| Windows...
|
| ...I'm not sure I want my neighborhood viewable on the Web from
| ground level. And are they going to edit all the people out?
| I don't see how they could.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/03/2229249

EveryDNS Under Botnet DDoS Attack: They never anticipated Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=209564&cid=17085728

Microsoft's reply: http://www.otosnede.com/

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Windows Software Helps the Spies
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:39:24 +0000

E-Discovery May Target Unexpected Sources

,----[ Quote ]
| A particularly useful (from an investigator's perspective) option in
| Outlook is the "Journal" feature, which, if turned on logs activity
| associated with Microsoft Office applications including Outlook
| e-mail activity. The logs track when e-mails are viewed and for how
| long, including any activity involving attachments. This was very
| useful in a recent investigation when an interviewee denied that
| an attachment to a certain critical e-mail had been reviewed. While
| the interview was in progress, we were able to access the journal
| logs for the interviewee's mail file and sent the proof to the
| interviewers that not only had the interviewee opened the e-mail,
| but that the attachment had been opened for 6 minutes at 2:54 p.m.
| of the day in question.
|
| [...]
|
| In a recent case involving an executive at a prominent software
| firm, a PC was completely "wiped," and then the Linux operating
| system was installed. Use of sophisticated forensics analysis led
| to the conclusion that the installation of the Linux operating
| system took place after government subpoenas had been issued;
| these actions were identified and factored as evidence detrimental
| to the defendant in the case.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1164981804524

There were cases in the past where people/companies blamed Microsoft software
(Outlook) for losing mail, which, conveniently enough, they did want
revealed. What about all the /hidden/ information that's embedded in Office
files and has led to fiascos. At least with Open Source your privacy is
honoured and there are no secrets, either...

Hmmm...

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Novell Helps OpenDocument Sabotage, Supports Microsoft
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 16:23:50 +0000

Novell Boosts OpenOffice.org and Microsoft Office Interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell today announced that the Novell edition of the OpenOffice.org
| office productivity suite will now support the Office Open XML format...
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061204/sfm067a.html?.v=2" title="Novell Boosts

Some commentary (and context) about this at:

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/04/novell-supports-openxml/

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Reviewer Calls Ubuntu Linux "an Ideal Windows Replacement"
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 16:38:14 +0000

Ubuntu Linux Is an Ideal Windows Replacement

,----[ Quote ]
`----

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Beryl/XGL Out of the Box with Live DVD (not Kororaa)
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 16:40:56 +0000

This should work with ATI, Nvidia, and Intel integrated video cards.

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

Related:

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Patents Shill Gets Soapbox on CNET (Microsoft Affiliated)
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:54:18 +0000

This man seem to have begun a flamewar.

Microsoft has OS patents; Linux has none

,----[ Quote ]
| The days of kumbaya, where vendors are locked arm in arm singing
| open-source love songs to "grow the market" through co-opetition
| are over.
`----

http://news.com.com/2010-7344_3-6140341.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=new...

Related:

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
| that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
| almost any participation by the small business community.
|
| Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
| competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
| large corporations and the patent industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The report does note objections from the likes of patentfrei.de and
| Sun Microsystems, which were recorded at some length in the report.
| But this does not appear to have impacted the conclusion of the
| report in any way
|
| [...]
|
| Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
| said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
| all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
| those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small...

Other cases where Microsoft /et al/ take over key 'reports' and government
decisions.

`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183

Changing the Report, After the Vote

,----[ Quote ]
| That agreement was nearly imperiled last weekend, though. Gerri
| Elliott, corporate vice president at Microsoft's Worldwide Public
| Sector division, sent an e-mail message to fellow commissioners
| Friday evening saying that she "vigorously" objected to a paragraph
| in which the panel embraced and encouraged the development of open
| source software and open content projects in higher education.
`----

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

A new Microsoft-commissioned anti-Linux study debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft seemingly has backed off from trumpeting its "Get the
| Facts" studies, as of late. But that doesn't mean the company has
| ceased commissioning research outfits to perform its anti-Linux dirty
| work.
|
| On September 25, Mercer Management Consulting released a new
| Microsoft-backed study. The study is entitled "Driving Lower TCO and
| Rapid ROI through UNIX Migrations." The synopsis: "Microsoft Windows
| the preferred choice for UNIX migration when IT organizations migrate
| servers as part of a focused effort to improve business processes,
| deploy critical applications or restructure their IT architecture."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/index.php?p=12

,----[ Quote ]
| This is something Microsoft must know is coming, which is why it is
| trying to discredit any existing efforts to deploy Linux in schools,
| like ACCESS. Fortunately in this case, we don't have to buy what
| they are trying to sell.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2006120102126OPMRPB

Study: open source needs official support; Lobbyist
disagrees with "flawed" conclusions

,----[ Quote ]

`----

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/14/google_lobby/

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] OpenDocument Format (ODF) Officially Published
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:02:49 +0000

Information technology -- Open Document Format for Office Applications
(OpenDocument) v1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| ISO/IEC 26300:2006 defines an XML schema for office applications
| and its semantics. The schema is suitable for office documents,
| including text documents, spreadsheets, charts and graphical
| documents like drawings or presentations, but is not restricted
| to these kinds of documents.
`----

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=43485&scopelist...

This push has been extremely successful (now widely embraced around the
world, apart from the States where Microsoft has too much influence) despite
aggresive opposition, e.g.:

`----

`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/04/novell-supports-openxml/

When Standards Are Political -- ODF (the Open Document Format)

,----[ Bottom line ]
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-love/when-standards-are-politi_b_32192.html

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] NBC Finally Departs from Microsoft's Turf
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:37:59 +0000

CNBC relaunches own site with more video

,----[ Quote ]
| Hoffman said CNBC's licensing agreement with Microsoft's MSN Money
| expired at the end of the second quarter this year and the two
| decided to go their separate ways.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061204/ap_on_hi_te/cnbc_web_site

This was announced over a year ago, but only now it's becoming a reality.
Maybe the site will actually become accessible to non-Windows platforms. The
takeover by Microsoft killed Real Player options (I could no longer watch
Jay Leno), among other things. Microsoft has other victims though...

BBC Looks To Microsoft For Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| However, you don't sign deals or commitments if you're a quasi-autonomous
| Public Corporation operating as a public service broadcaster, as the BBC
| is. BBC Director General Mark Thompson met Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates
| in Seattle on Wednesday to sign the non-exclusive memorandum of
| understanding and discuss the BBC's digital strategy.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/09/28/bbc-microsoft-internet-cx_cn_0928bbc.html?partner...
http://tinyurl.com/j5pn7

Beeb breaks out with Windows WMA protection

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a press release from Sonos, the blokes over
| at the Beeb have decided to jump ship for relying on
| Realplayer for web content, and have switched over
| entirely to the Windows-friendly WMA format. Now
| that the BBC has made The Big Switch, BBC radio
| stations will be received automatically for users
| of wireless music and radio provider Sonos.
`----

That's despite the BBC's (technical staff) praising of Open Source technology
and GNU/Linux.

I suspect that Microsoft has also bought Motley Fool. It clearly put a lot of
FUD in C|Net as well, often disguised as articles.

Related:

`----

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50713F83A5B0C748CDDA80994DE4044...

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Everyone Can Switch to Linux These Days...
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:44:35 +0000

New to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=70245173&blogID=...

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] XBox Still Struggles to Beat Playstation 2
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:11:18 +0000

Playstation 2 is Xbox 360's biggest challenger in South America

,----[ Quote ]
| At the AEShow 2006 exhibition held in Buenos Aires city last month,
| we witnessed an interesting scenario: people were flocking to Sony's
| booth which showcased a handful of Playstation 2 consoles.
`----

Related:

Linux for PS2

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to this online shop for purchasing Linux for PlayStation®2.
|
| [...]
|
| The Linux bundle of monitor cable and installation DVDs is available
| for just Euro25 + delivery + tax.
`----

http://www.linuxplay.com/

There was a study a few (a couple?) months ago which showed that the PS2
still outsells the XBox 360 in the United States.

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] UBmatric Ambraces & Praises Open Source Paradigm
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:14:53 +0000

UBmatrix to Open Source its XBRL Processing Engine

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Application/UBmatrix_to_Open_Source_its_XBRL_...
http://tinyurl.com/t2q4r

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] INQ Benchmark: Vista Memory Requirements - Steep, Steep, Steep
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:23:24 +0000

Testing Vista's different memory configurations

,----[ Quote ]
| You simply cannot play games on Vista with 512MB o memory, at least not the
| games wen tested. You will sometimes get playable scores but even then the
| experience and the load time will be ridiculous.
|
| Anything more than 512MB will help you a lot, with 2x1GB being the best
| price performance buy.
|
| 4x1GB is the best choice for best raw performance. It is hard to prove it
| ^^^^^
| in every test, but if you have 2x1GB and you load as much in memory, the
| ^^^^^
| system will become endessly slow.
| ^^^^
`----

Related:

Vista Runs Smooth Only on 2G Memory

,----[ Quote ]
| However, Dell CEO Kevin Rollins suggested otherwise on Thursday, 26 Oct at
| a speech at Shanghai's Jiaotong University. "I think they tell you maybe 1
| gig of memory is OK. No, two gigs of memory would be great."
|
| This echoes with my own experience with Vista RC2. With only 1G of
| RAM, there are many disk activities indicating heavy disk swap, a
| symptom of lack of memory in the system.
`----

http://www.itechnote.com/2006/10/27/vista-runs-smooth-only-on-2g-memory/

Vista System Memory Concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista: Facing a Slow Adoption. In the beginning, early adopters and
| gamers who are looking to ready themselves for the DirectX 10 upgrade
| will be best suited for those ready to make an investment in the
| unknown.
|
| Considering how many software and game titles will likely need to
| be run in "compatibility mode" until patches are released across
| the board, I would suggest really looking at what Vista's advantages
| are before taking the plunge.
|
| No matter how much we may wish to see the path Vista is about to
| embark on, the fact remains that because of its hardware requirements,
| Vista adoption may turn out to be rather slow.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2395&Itemid=44...

Microsoft Windows Is A Greedy Memory Hog, The Cure Is To Feed It RAM

,----[ Quote ]
| For Windows 2000, XP, 512MB is the minimum and 1GB or more is recommended.
| For Windows 98 any flavor, 256MB is the minimum and 1GB is recommended. If
| you are an avid PC gamer or video editor, 1GB is the minimum
| recommendation. Other operating systems such as Linux or Mac are similar.
| Simply put: more is better.
`----

http://bytepowered.org/articles/Article/Microsoft-Windows-Is-A-Greedy-Memory-Hog...
http://tinyurl.com/yn9ztx

On Linux:

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/10/the_unknown_sol.html

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] New Red Hat Partnership In India to Boost Linux
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:08:47 +0000

Red Hat and Satyam partner to deliver open source solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| He feels that such strategic tie ups a clear indication that
| companies have now started to see a great demand and value int
| he open source business model, unlike the past.
`----

http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/34151

Semi-related:

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Zenwalk Brings Changes to XFCE Usability
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:12:27 +0000

Good and Bad in XFCE

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2051

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Innovation Comes from Customer Control
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:24:25 +0000

Innovative Experiences

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.businessinnovationinsider.com/2006/12/day_2_1120_am_innovative_exper....

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Media Properly Introduces the PlayStation 3: A Linux PC
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:34:53 +0000

Sony preps games for PS3 launch

,----[ Quote ]
| With the release of a Linux distribution tailored specifically
| for the console, the PS3 is beginning to look more like a possible
| PC substitute.
|
| [...]
|
| A version of Linux tailored to the PS3 had already been released,
| Mr Holman said.
|
| In October, US group Terra Soft Solutions announced a distribution
| of its Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 that included Mozilla's Firefoxb
| rowser, Thunderbird email client and the OpenOffice productivity
| suite.
|
| As well as being able to run Linux, the console can be used with
| either a wireless or USB mouse and keyboard, and has a web browser
| built in.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20870910%%5E15306,00.html

This is the firest PlayStation 3 review that introduces it as a PC and
incorporates a mention of Linux.

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Linux Gets Easier and More Widespread
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:29:25 +0000

Running Kubuntu Edgy Eft

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux desktop-users may make up a small fraction of the total at
| present, but I agree with Mark Shuttleworth's comment that
| widespread adoption of Linux on the desktop is just a matter of time.
`----

http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?from=rss_IOLTechHome&iSectionId=2883&iArticleId...

To confirm this, here's an article that was published today:

Computer costs down in global initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| The designers have also gambled in designing the laptop's software,
| which is based on the freely available Linux operating system, a
| rival to Microsoft's Windows. Dispensing with a traditional desktop
| display, the software substitutes an iconic interface intended to
| give students a simpler view of their programs and documents and
| a maplike view of other connected users nearby.
`----

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Business/174881/

Still getting support in more countries where it's negotiated, despite
Microsoft's blatant anti-OLPC FUD.

End of Cola Digest

--
| News Digester |