Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy · Group Profile
Author: Mark Kent
Date: Feb 6, 2007 14:37

In today's digest, we have:
* Linux Browser/Engine is the Most CSS3-compliant
* Google Talks About Its Ubuntu Linux Derivative
* Reuters Anti-Linux, Anti-Novell FUD
* Microsoft Changes the Rules to Defend Its Monopoly/Cash Cow
* Stable Linux Kernel Released with KVM
* Why the "Year of Linux Desktop" Concept is Meaningless
* Why Code Reuse (Open Source) Beats Reinventing the Wheel
(Properietary Software)
* Another Big Blow to DRM as Music Industry Gives Up
* Literature DRM Doomed as Well?
* Inland Revenue Considers Migration to Linux Desktops
* Delivery of a Refined Build of the $100 Linux Laptop
* Windows Vista is Poorly Coded and Planned
* Windows 7 to Integrate Web Services into the O/S (Hello Antitrust)
* Linux is Free, But It's Worth $Trillions
* Dutch Linux Distribution Reaches Major Release
* Windows Vista Consumes 600MB of RAM without Any Running Applications
* In China, Cost of Windows Equals a Month's Wage
* Steve Ballmer Parties like It's 1995
* Upcoming Releases of Linux Distributions
* Microsoft's Game to Lose and Microsoft's Game to Cheat
* New Netscape Web Browser Comes to Linux
* Patent Madness Highlights Need for Reform
* Showing Vista's Incomplete Catchup Work with Linux
* Pro-Microsoft Anti-Linux Article (for Amusement)
* New Push for Open Source Hardware Announced Today
* Independent Security Experts Debunk Windows Vista Security
* Linux Steals Microsoft's Thunder in Toronto?
* DistroWatch Weekly Newsletter is Out
Force
* Linux Gains at Windows' Expense
* Computer Aided Design Programs Slowed Down by 80%%-98%% in Windows
Vista
* Users Take the Driver's Seat in Innovation, with Linux
* Australian School Runs GNU/inux Behind the Scenes
* Ubuntu Fills the Gap of (Old) Red Hat and SCO
* Linux-based Telephony Makes Impact in the Enterprise
* Viral Marketing - Microsoft to Asia: What's Wrong With You?
* Vista's Sound Issues Continue to Accumulate
* NYTimes Now So Wowed by Windows Vista
* Linux Recommended as the Operating System for a Web Developer

This is a digest of the previous 24 hours (GMT day) of [News] postings
in comp.os.linux.advocacy. If you have any comments, suggestions or
remarks, please reply to this message and I will take account of all
that I can. The digest is created from my leafnode news spool, which is
pre-filtered, so some poster's articles might not appear.

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Linux Browser/Engine is the Most CSS3-compliant
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 07:50:53 +0000

KHTML 3.5.6 is the most CSS3-compliant of all

,----[ Quote ]
| As one of our readers has pointed out to us, the latest (3.5.6)
| release of the KHTML rendering engine passes all of the tests in our
| CSS selector testsuite - making the Konqueror 3.5.6 browser the
| most CSS3-compatible of all.
`----

http://www.css3.info/blog/khtml-356-is-the-most-css3-compliant-of-all/

Another example of Linux behind ahead of its proprietary rivals, Opera
included.

Related:

Carrying Water for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Careless Web developers work tirelessly to maintain Redmond's dominance.
|
| [...]
|
| Fidelity's contractor didn't set out to build a website that would shut
| out Macintosh and Linux users. But by being lax with its choice of
| Web authoring technologies, that's exactly what it did.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/posts.aspx?id=17504&author=garfinkel

Microsoft used undocumented Windows APIs - Iowa testimony

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/101947/microsoft-used-undocumented-windows-apis-iowa...

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Google Talks About Its Ubuntu Linux Derivative
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 07:54:13 +0000

Google goes its own way

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/3949278a28.html

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Reuters Anti-Linux, Anti-Novell FUD
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 07:00:04 +0000

Memo to Reuters: stop spreading FUD about Novell and Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9208&Itemid=1...

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Microsoft Changes the Rules to Defend Its Monopoly/Cash Cow
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 07:04:30 +0000

Microsoft's Definition of Contradictions and The Art of Rewriting History

,----[ Quote ]
| Those that have been involved in National Bodies worldwide in the
| latest standardization exercise involving Microsoft OOXML may
| have been puzzled at first, then later amused, that Microsoft
| representatives have chosen to rewrite not only well accepted
| definition of contradiction but also portions of technological
| history.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/02/microsofts_defi.html

Related:

FFII opposes Fasttrack adoption of Microsoft OOXML format as ISO standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The FFII has several concerns with the proposed standard. OpenXML
| relies on undisclosed patents, and undisclosed or incomplete
| licensing terms that make any independent reimplementation
| impossible or heavily risky. It obliges implementors to
| reverse-engineer the behavior of old closed Microsoft
| applications and formats. It uses non-standard formats for
| languages and dates, and specifies known bugs, such as
| treating 1900 as a leap year.
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/FFII_opposes_Fasttrack_adoption_of_Microsof...
http://tinyurl.com/2qxk7p

Open source lobby fury over Office format fast-track

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/102898/open-source-lobby-fury-over-office-format-fasttrack...
http://tinyurl.com/37vouh

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Stable Linux Kernel Released with KVM
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 07:10:17 +0000

Stable Linux Kernel 2.6.20 Released

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.20

Related:

Kernel space: KVM virtualization layer progress

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux virtualization frenzy has a new challenger: the
| simplified virtualization technology, KVM, has made it
| into the standard kernel.
|
| [...]
|
| Perhaps the most interesting outcome of all this, however, is how KVM is
| gaining momentum as the virtualization approach of choice - at least for
| contemporary and future hardware.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/011607-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Virtualization begins to materialize in the Linux kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| Virtualization, the ability to run multiple "virtual" systems on a
| single host, is nearly as old as solid state computing. But it's been
| all the rage again in recent years, with more than a dozen large-scale
| Linux virtualization projects -- and while they require special
| custom kernels, patches, and software, the first steps toward
| OS-level virtualization have been implemented in the Linux kernel.
`----

http://specialreports.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/19/053225&tid=136&tid=91

Linux KVM Virtualization Performance

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=623&num=1

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Why the "Year of Linux Desktop" Concept is Meaningless
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:07:21 +0000

Year of the Linux desktop? Who cares!

,----[ Quote ]
| We waste a lot of time trying to defend Linux when we don't need to.
| Let people think what they think. BUT, let our contributions speak
| for themselves. And finally, let the user decide if Linux is right
| for their desktop. The ultimate decider has, and always been the user.
| People and companies can trick them for now, but eventually, the
| truth or benefits of alternatives will spread to them. (Whether it
| be by word of mouth, or some clueless journalist just realising a
| change in tide of the IT industry).
|
| [...]
|
| Everybody knows open-source is inevitable. (Even Microsoft).
|
| If you don't believe me, just look at these examples...
|
| (1) Microsoft Shared Source Initiative
|
| (2) MS Research Facility to study Open-Source solutions.
|
| (3) CodePlex
|
| (4) Novell and Microsoft -- Working Together for Customers
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/13138

Related:

Linux in 2006: June is Busting Out All Over

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3650901

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Why Code Reuse (Open Source) Beats Reinventing the Wheel (Properietary Software)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:26:43 +0000

Programmers Don't Like to Code

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://rentzsch.com/notes/programmersDontLikeToCode

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Another Big Blow to DRM as Music Industry Gives Up
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:36:08 +0000

Music industry set to abandon DRM shocka

,----[ Quote ]
| Surprise, surprise, surprise. After all the lawsuits we've been
| reporting about, all the fiasco's we've been through (Microsoft
| incompatible trio MSN-Plays For Sure-Zune), and now, it seems
| that music industry executives are finally thinking with their
| senses and not with their ill-fated techno-paranoid logic.
`----

I suppose that the Microsoft-0wn3d BBC (and Channel4) will soon provide
decent options for Linux as well. Nothing that's DRM-infected because
content providers used to require it (misconceptions and wishful thinking).

Related and fairly recent:

Holland Considers Banning DRM, Legalizing Filesharing

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year the Dutch tried to tax all MP3 players, but that proposal
| didn't make it into law. But not to worry, they have other brilliant
| ideas. Earlier this week, Dutch politicians suggested that it might
| be a good idea to tax Internet traffic, and use this money to
| compensate the music industry. This, under the condition that
| DRM is abandoned, and people can't be charged for downloads. Say
| what?
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/holland-considers-banning-drm-legalizing-filesharing/

Apple DRM illegal in Norway: Ombudsman

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's digital rights management lock on its iPod device and iTunes
| software is illegal, the Consumer Ombudsman in Norway has ruled. The
| blow follows the news that Germany and France are joining Norway's
| action against Apple.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/apple_drm_illegal_in_norway/

Record labels rethink digital rights management at Midem

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that even digital music revenue growth is faltering amid
| rampant file-sharing by consumers, the major record labels are
| closer than ever to releasing music on the Internet with no
| copying restrictions -- a step they once vowed never
| to take.
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/21/yourmoney/music.php

Independent record labels sign Web distribution deal

,----[ Quote ]
| The downloads will be sold in the MP3 format, meaning they can be
| played on any portable music player including the iPod. Apple's iTunes
| can be used only with an iPod while music from such popular services
| as Napster and Rhapsody cannot be played on the mass-selling device.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6151854.html

VirginMega adopts DRM-free MP3 on its music store

,----[ Quote ]
| VirginMega.fr, by Lagardere, is adding more than 200,000 tracks
| available in the MP3 256k format. So far, the store only offered
| Microsoft's PlayForSure WMA 192k tracks, and only made a few
| tracks available as an experiment in a similar way as Yahoo did.
| However, France is the first country where a full-DRM store adopts
| MP3 on a large scale.
`----

http://www.djing.com/news/1926/virginmega-adopts-drm-free-mp3-on-its-music-store/

Sony settles with FTC in rootkit case

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Proposed agreement includes barring Sony BMG from installing copy
| protection software on CDs without users' consent.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6154655.html

EMI abandons CD DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| EMI has announced that it will no longer infect its CDs with DRM. I
| remember just a few years ago when an EMI customer-service rep sent
| an email to an irate customer promising that every CD in Europe would
| have DRM within a decade.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/08/emi_abandons_cd_drm.html

Amazon Soon Opening DRM-free MP3 Store

,----[ Quote ]
| Looks like rumors are afloat that Amazon is planning on a late
| first quarter 2007 launch of a new music download store. In an
| already crowded music download market, Amazon hopes to differentiate
| itself in two major ways...
`----

http://www.computers.net/2006/12/amazon_soon_ope.html

iTunes sales 'collapsing'

,----[ Quote ]
| The leading DRM digital download service, Apple's iTunes, has
| experienced a collapse in sales revenues this year according to
| analyst company Forrester Research.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/11/digital_downloads_flatline/

Music to be offered in MP3 file format

,----[ Quote ]
| After years of selling online music digitally wrapped with copy
| and playback restrictions designed to hinder piracy, major music
| labels are beginning to make some songs available in the
| unrestricted MP3 file format.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/16179277.htm

Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

,----[ Quote ]
| Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
| Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
| career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
| Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
| secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

Sony 'deceived' on music

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony has been convicted of misleading the French public and told
| to pay damages to a consumer watchdog for selling downloadable
| songs that only run on its own music players.
|
| France's Union Federale des Consommateurs (UFC) took Sony's
| French and British subsidiaries to court in February 2005 over
| the music download site Sony Connect. The lawsuit also targets
| Apple, maker of the popular iPod, whose case is expected to
| reach the courts later this year.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21026144%%5E15322%%5E%%5Enbv%%5E...
http://tinyurl.com/y7hk7w

Who's Killing MP3 and ITunes?

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. The labels don't have a choice
| 2. Apple might be forced into interoperability
| 3. Thomson has endorsed selling watermarked MP3
| 4. Amazon is rumored to start selling MP3s by April
| 5. Sony: "DRMs are going to become less important"
| 6. People love AllofMP3.com
| 7. MP3 has future options
`----

http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,72412-1.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

Apple faces suit over iPod-iTunes link

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061230/ap_on_hi_te/apple_lawsuits

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Literature DRM Doomed as Well?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:45:50 +0000

Rowling: No e-book for Harry Potter VII

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, e-book fans, whoever you are. You will be able to read the new
| Harry Potter on paper, listen to it, probably purchase it in Braille.
| But don't expect to download the text -- at least legally.
|
| J.K. Rowling has not allowed the first six Potter stories to be
| released as e-books and has no plans to change that for the seventh
| and final work, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," Neil Blair,
| a lawyer with Rowling's literary agency, told The Associated
| Press on Sunday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070204/ap_on_hi_te/harry_potter_e_books

closed-source digital locks fail miserably. Those naive enough to adopt them
soon enough drop them. Some computer scientists already experiment with the
idea of watermarking as a replacement for DRM.

Related:

.----
| Security researcher Alex Ionescu claims to have successfully bypassed
| the much discussed DRM protection in Windows Vista, called 'Protected
| Media Path' (PMP), which is designed to seriously degrade the
| playback quality of any video and audio running on systems with
| hardware components not explicitly approved by Microsoft. The bypass
| of the DRM protection was in turn performed by breaking the Driver
| Signing / PatchGuard protection in the new operating system. Alex is
| now quite nervous about what an army of lawyers backed by draconian
| copyright laws could do to him if he released the details, but he
| claims to be currently looking into the details of safely releasing
| his details about this at the moment though.
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/29/1811201&from=rss

Blu-ray cracked too?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's still early on to tell whether this is actually true, but HD DVD
| cracker muslix64 is back, and with the help of another anti-DRM
| cracker, Janvitos, claims to have also broken the Blu-ray's
| implementation of AACS.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/20/blu-ray-cracked-too/

AACS DRM cracked by BackupHDDVD tool?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/27/aacs-drm-cracked-by-backuphddvd-tool/

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Inland Revenue Considers Migration to Linux Desktops
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:02:26 +0000

Vista too taxing but Linux on agenda

,----[ Quote ]
| Inland Revenue began testing the SuSE distribution of Linux on a few
| PCs in 2005, suggesting it might become the first government
| department to take a big punt on open source desktop software.
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/3949276a28.html

Last week:

PSA Peugeot Citroen Chooses SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop From Novell

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070130/sftu114.html?.v=76

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Delivery of a Refined Build of the $100 Linux Laptop
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:35:50 +0000

One Laptop Per Child: XO Phase 2 Progress

,----[ Quote ]
| The B2 prototypes are planned to be delivered to the interested
| countries for practical testing later this month.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/gnu/one-laptop-per-child-xo-phase-2/

Related:

OLPC details low-cost laptop Build 2 mods

,----[ Quote ]
| The One Laptop Per Child project, which demonstrated the first build
| of the self-powered laptop to a roomful of reporters Jan. 8 at the
| Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, is now into its second build
| of the new green machine.
`----

The $100 Computer

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, Intel may just be unhappy that the computers will use AMD
| chips, and Gates might be fuming that they will run on Linux instead
| of Windows. The stakes are high for both firms; while this may be a
| charitable effort at first, they ultimately see it as a long-term
| move to build a market and capture the loyalty of tomorrow's consumers.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/27/cheap-computers-poor-lead-citizen-cx_hc_davos07_0127laptop...

A closer look at what '$100 laptop' will be

,----[ Quote ]
| After the kids have their say, and necessary changes are made, the
| nonprofit group One Laptop Per Child (OLPC at www.laptop.org) plans to ship
| 5 million XOs around the world by the end of 2007, a first installment
| toward reaching the 1 billion school-age children now growing up in the
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| developing world. The machines will be built by Quanta Computer in Taiwan.
|
| [...]
|
| Inside, the operating system is based on Linux open-source software,
| ignoring both Windows and Mac. Instead of folders on the opening
| screen, students see a figure representing a child (an X with an
| O over it, hence the "XO") surrounded by a circle of icons
| showing what activities are in use. The system also includes
| an Internet browser, a word processor, games, and a toolkit
| for a wide variety of musical activities.
`----

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0129/p13s01-stct.html

Video: Hands-on with OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Nick Negroponte's OLPC made an appearance at CES, in partner
| Marvell's booth. Marvell supplies the 802.11 b/g chipset, as
| well as a chipset made exclusively for mesh networking.
| Fortunately for us (but unfortunately for Marvell) we all
| know why everyone showed up, and it definitely wasn't for
| ICs. Take a look up top, or download at the bottom.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/10/video-hands-on-with-olpc/

Australia To Trial OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| In a surprise announcement, the government of the Northern Territory
| has announced that they are testing the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)
| machines with a view to launching trials in remote communities.
|
| The OLPC has been designed for children in the developing world, in
| regions that struggle for basic infrastructure like clean running
| water, and electricity. So it may come as a surprise to some that
| an Australian state government has put up a hand to trial the new
| laptops.
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/Australia_To_Trial_OLPC

Rwanda Commits to Low-Cost Laptop Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Rwanda is the eighth developing country to join the One Laptop
| Per Child initiative aimed at giving away inexpensive
| computers to all young students.
`----

$100 laptop project eyes launch

,----[ Quote ]
| The first countries to sign up to buying the machine include
| Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Nigeria, Libya,
| Pakistan and Thailand.
`----

Public can purchase $100 laptop

,----[ Quote ]
`----

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Windows Vista is Poorly Coded and Planned
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:40:22 +0000

Vista "Blinded" by poor code - planning

,----[ Quote ]
| Many of us knew it was going to happen. We simply didn't know who
| they would be and how bad the outcry would be.
|
| We know now.
`----

http://www.lobby4linux.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=1

Related:

,----[ Quote ]
| "Up to 60%% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
| operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company 'scrambles' to fix
| internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed to SHN... Microsoft has
| also admitted that it has major problems in it's Windows division and has
| has immediately initiated a total restructure of the division..."
`----

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7...

Vista drivers are a handful

,----[ Quote ]
`----

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Windows 7 to Integrate Web Services into the O/S (Hello Antitrust)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:58:29 +0000

Connecting the dots on Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| I would have asked one more follow up: Was Gates hinting that
| Microsoft will build more of its currently standalone Windows
| Live services right into the operating system?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=241

Larry Ellison explains how Microsoft operates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssX4RL24HT4

Also see:

Where Should Vendors Stick Their Services?

,----[ Quote ]
| Wondering if you noticed the news over at Microsoft Watch this week
| that Microsoft has done what many considered inevitable: Started
| using Windows as a way to hawk Windows Live Services?
|
| It's not too surprising to me that Microsoft is splashing all over
| its Welcome to Vista screen (at least in one of the latest Vista test
| builds, No. 5506) promotional links, inviting users to download Windows
| Live Messenger, Windows Live OneCare, Windows Live Mail Desktop, and more.
| But I was surprised the Redmondians would be so bold as to actually
| embed Windows Live Messenger into Vista. After all the antitrust
| lawsuits Microsoft has been slapped with here, there and everywhere ?
| many of which have focused on its "innovative integration" (a k a,
| bundling) strategies, you'd think they'd be a little more cautious.
|
| With the actual Windows Live Messenger code (not just a download link)
| being integrated right into Vista, I think Microsoft might be really
| going out on a limb. When backed into a corner before about its
| integration strategy, Microsoft's defense was that removing any of
| the integrated components (Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player,
| etc.) would break the OS. But if Vista test builds have been working
| just fine (well, middling, maybe, based on some not-so-happy tester
| comments) without Windows Live Messenger, how can Microsoft make a
| case for it being part of Windows?
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,2005413,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0...

Welcome to college, here's your Windows Live account

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/4/23/3719

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Software manufacturers, citing 2004 European Commission finding,
| contend the operating system violates server laws in Europe.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index...

'Microsoft broke anti-trust agreement,' prosecutors claim

,----[ Quote ]
| It's claimed Microsoft's engineers used at least 500 undocumented APIs
| to ensure Microsoft's applications worked better with Windows than
| those of competitors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/microsoft_breached_antitrust/

Microsoft rivals file second European complaint

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%%7bAF5B8FB2-488F-4468-80B8...
http://tinyurl.com/2ybdot

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Linux is Free, But It's Worth $Trillions
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:02:44 +0000

What is Your Operating System Worth?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are using Linux what did you pay? Nothing? A dollar or two to
| get it from a cheap ISO dump? But what is it really worth?
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=What_is_your_operating_system_worth

General Statistics for Debian Sarge Code Counting

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://libresoft.dat.escet.urjc.es/debian-counting/sarge/index.php?menu=Statisti...

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Dutch Linux Distribution Reaches Major Release
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:05:36 +0000

Announcement: MCNLive "VirtualCity" Final

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mcnlive.org/

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Windows Vista Consumes 600MB of RAM without Any Running Applications
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:24:10 +0000

Windows Vista consumes 600MB of RAM with no apps running

,----[ Quote ]
| closed the sidebar, but sidebar.exe is still alive and using 26MB.
| Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) is using 55MB. The Search
| Indexer is consuming 30MB. Even the recommended 1GB of RAM might not
| leave much room for applications on Vista.
`----

http://vistaonamacbookpro.info/?p=108

Rex reported 700MB of RAM is consumed by an idle and empty desktop (laptop),
so who has got the last laugh now?

Related:

What about the performance and memory usage of KDE and GNOME?

,----[ Quote ]
| In this particular test, KDE and some typical KDE applications were
| found to consume 143.2 MB of RAM. GNOME and comparable GNOME
| applications consumed 174.8 MB. XFCE and some third-party
| applications comparable to the ones used for GNOME and KDE
| consumed 206.8 MB of RAM.
`----

http://pinderkent.blogsavy.com/archives/35

Allchin's 'Buy a Mac' E-Mail Exposed

,----[ Quote ]
| "I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do
| what I called plan (b) yesterday. We need a simple fast storage
| system. LH [Longhorn] is a pig and I don't see any solution to this
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| problem. If we are to rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| need to start taking the lessons of 'scenario, simple, fast' to
| heart. Jim"
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/allchins_buy_a_mac_email_exposed...
http://tinyurl.com/y5cuu6

Testing Vista's different memory configurations

,----[ Quote ]
| You simply cannot play games on Vista with 512MB o memory, at least not the
| games wen tested. You will sometimes get playable scores but even then the
| experience and the load time will be ridiculous.
|
| Anything more than 512MB will help you a lot, with 2x1GB being the best
| price performance buy.
|
| 4x1GB is the best choice for best raw performance. It is hard to prove it
| ^^^^^
| in every test, but if you have 2x1GB and you load as much in memory, the
| ^^^^^
| system will become endessly slow.
| ^^^^
`----

Vista Runs Smooth Only on 2G Memory

,----[ Quote ]
| However, Dell CEO Kevin Rollins suggested otherwise on Thursday, 26 Oct at
| a speech at Shanghai's Jiaotong University. "I think they tell you maybe 1
| gig of memory is OK. No, two gigs of memory would be great."
|
| This echoes with my own experience with Vista RC2. With only 1G of
| RAM, there are many disk activities indicating heavy disk swap, a
| symptom of lack of memory in the system.
`----

http://www.itechnote.com/2006/10/27/vista-runs-smooth-only-on-2g-memory/

Vista System Memory Concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista: Facing a Slow Adoption. In the beginning, early adopters and
| gamers who are looking to ready themselves for the DirectX 10 upgrade
| will be best suited for those ready to make an investment in the
| unknown.
|
| Considering how many software and game titles will likely need to
| be run in "compatibility mode" until patches are released across
| the board, I would suggest really looking at what Vista's advantages
| are before taking the plunge.
|
| No matter how much we may wish to see the path Vista is about to
| embark on, the fact remains that because of its hardware requirements,
| Vista adoption may turn out to be rather slow.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2395&Itemid=44...

Microsoft Windows Is A Greedy Memory Hog, The Cure Is To Feed It RAM

,----[ Quote ]
| For Windows 2000, XP, 512MB is the minimum and 1GB or more is recommended.
| For Windows 98 any flavor, 256MB is the minimum and 1GB is recommended. If
| you are an avid PC gamer or video editor, 1GB is the minimum
| recommendation. Other operating systems such as Linux or Mac are similar.
| Simply put: more is better.
`----

http://bytepowered.org/articles/Article/Microsoft-Windows-Is-A-Greedy-Memory-Hog...
http://tinyurl.com/yn9ztx

See an item about Linux...

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/10/the_unknown_sol.html

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] In China, Cost of Windows Equals a Month's Wage
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:47:59 +0000

Chinese attitude on buying Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
| USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
| is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
| Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
| criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
|
| recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%%
| of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
`----

http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-attitude-on-buying-vista.html

Related:

Romania: Software piracy made us what we are today

,----[ Quote ]
| Experts have called for stronger action from Romanian officials on
| software piracy, with prosecutors encouraged to stop dismissing
| potential cases. The International Intellectual Property Alliance
| in 2006 said dismissals are acting as a disincentive on police to
| clamp down on criminals, who are mostly end-users and distributors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/02/romania_microsoft_piracy/

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
| software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
`----

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
| technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
| will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
| Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
| it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
| they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
| Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
| plans for world domination.
|
| It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
| of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html

How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows

,----[ Article's summary ]
| Bill Gates may not be entirely dismayed by software thieves. They
| seed the world market and make Microsoft a standard.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tot...

Beware: Half of Pirated Vista Is Malware

,----[ Quote ]
| About half of all downloads that claim to be free versions of
| Microsoft's Vista operating system are actually malicious
| Trojan horse software, security vendor DriveSentry warned today.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/003622.html

On Linux in China:

China gets into the FOSS groove

,----[ Quote ]
| If there is mass take-up of free and open source software in any
| country over the next few years, that country is likely to be China.
`----

Will cash solve China's 'community' problem?

,----[ Quote ]
| The government, I learnt, as well as universities are also
| forming communities, which are sponsored and intended to attract
| talented developers, or more, to point the contributors to the
| cause of the sponsor. The government mainly funds the top open
| source companies in China--those being Red Flag, Turbo Linux and
| Sun Wah, and these groups in turn need to devote a portion of
| their funding to the government initiative to promote skills in
| this area. It makes sense because how can the government grow
| its infrastructure if there is no skilled labor to develop and
| support it?
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,61984296,00.htm

China's Linux industry booms, despite problems

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Lu Shouqun, China's sale of Linux was 175 million yuan
| ($21 million) in 2005, increasing 81%% compared with the previous year.
| The sale of other open source software that year was 160 million
| yuan ($19 million). In the operating system market, the share of
| Linux increased from 4.2%% to 9.8%% between 2003 and 2005.
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/19/1917209&tid=53

Computers with home-grown Chinese CPU debut

,----[ Quote ]
| The computer, which uses a Linux operating system, comes with a
| 40-gigabyte hard drive and 256 megabytes of memory. It costs
| 1,599 yuan (about 200 U.S. dollars), and users have to buy the
| monitor, keyboard and mouse separately, the company said on
| its website.
`----

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-01/19/content_5627256.htm

China Linux Market Will Grow at Annual Rate of 34%%, Says R&M

,----[ Quote ]
| It is predicted that in China, Linux market (both server and client)
| will grow with an annual rate of 34 %%. The client-side share growth
| will be comparatively faster.
`----

http://eb-asia.com/article.asp?id=7528

Will China Be Linux's Best Friend In 2007?

,----[ Quote ]
| The sale of IBM's PC division to Chinese-owned Lenovo was only the tip of
| the iceberg, it seems. Now, the latest news indicate that computers running
| on Chinese-made processors and running Linux will be introduced before the
| Chinese New Year. Good news indeed for those who would like to see Intel
| and Microsoft's domination of the global PC market finally face some
| genuine competition.
|
| [...]
|
| The things in favor of the Chinese PCs: a) through its sheer size,
| China has considerable economic leverage on most countries in the
| West (particularly Canada and the US) and may simply demand that
| these new computers be given a serious opportunity in overseas
| markets; b) successful adoption of the computers in its own country
| could lead to greater likelihood of adoption in other countries;
| and c) priced quite low, these computers may garner an initial
| following as a novelty or a toy for hobbyists and/or Linux
| afficionados, leading to further growth.
`----

http://www.performancepccanada.com/?defaultarticle=1066&defaultnode=516&layout=20&pagefunction...[sect_title]=Editorial
http://tinyurl.com/yosn7t

China making own PCs running with Linux but please shut up about it. And why
are you running those damn pictures?

,----[ Quote ]
| No one wanted the news released. It appears to have been a major clanger
| on someone?s part.
|
| China Youth Daily ran this on Sina Tech (it is a Chinese site and unless
| you read Chinese gets you nowhere) and all hell broke lose. It was
| not authorized. The site was firmly asked to remove the story. As of
| this writing this has not happened.
|
| There is serious upset at Lemote and Godson that the news has
| leaked. They are as annoyed as Steve Jobs would be in a similar
| situation. Still it has happened. And we have photographs of the
| machine which you see above. Probably the first English language
| site to do so.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%%20/2007/01/22/china-making-own-pcs-running-with.../
http://tinyurl.com/28z32f

Hasee PCs Preinstall Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsid=7969

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2006/01/a_big_step_for....

,----[ Quote ]
| "China has long been seen as a fertile ground for Linux and other open
| source software. In a country where more than 90%% of software in use
| is pirated, it seems like a natural fit."
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/50004.html

Linux Set to Soar in China

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2006/06/03/2003311446

Government says all new PCs must be Linux-friendly

China looks to open-source community for advice

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/05/18/78442_HNchinaopensource_1.html?source=rss&url...

,----[ Quote ]
| Many such vendors previously sold PCs with free operating systems such as
| Linux or none at all...
|
| Observers believe the Chinese vendors signed their deals with Microsoft
| in April under pressure from Beijing, which is trying to show it is
| making serious efforts to stamp out piracy -- a major complaint from
| many Western governments.
|
| In late March, the Chinese government went so far as to issue a
| decree requiring PC makers to install a licensed operating system on
| each machine before it left the factory.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060601/bs_nm/china_microsoft_dc

China's Linux Adoption Threat to Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| Most recently, China has been placing their bets on Linux over Windows as
| the dominant OS for their needs. And one of the best examples of this on
| the desktop front would have to be with Turbolinux. The distribution has
| been so widely accepted by the Chinese that even HP has decided to begin
| selling PCs with the OS preinstalled for distribution. But it doesn't
| stop there. China has a distribution of its very own; you may know it as
| Red Flag Linux.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2249&Itemid=44...

China to produce $125 (Linux) PC

,----[ Quote ]
| A Chinese outfit is hoping to release a PC which will hit the shops with a
| price tag of $125.
`----

Xinjiang Clusters Panasas

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently, Xinjiang Oil Company is running 12 Panasas Storage Clusters
| in conjunction with 600-node Linux clusters at the company's Department
| of Earth Science in western China.
|
| [...]
|
| "The object-based Panasas storage solution totally turns things around
| by giving us the things we were looking for--high performance,
| expansibility, stability, dependability, and simplified management...
`----

http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=105015&WT.svl=wire2_1

China gets a lesson on Open Source Intellectual Property Rights

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Invention Network (OIN) hosted a panel discussion in Beijing
| last Wednesday, October 11th... The emergence of organizations such as
| OIN and Open Source Development Labs (OSDL) is very positive to the
| Open Source Movement. It legitimizes the grass roots efforts of Linux
| Champions, such as Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,61959441,00.htm

Car PCs mount in dashboards, run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Hong Kong based mini-PC manufacturing specialist SD-Omega has added
| a pair of high-end models to its extensive line of more than 20
| Linux-friendly car PC models. The SD631C and PCI-slot-equipped
| SD631CH support Intel Pentium M and Celeron M processors at over
| 2GHz, and include car-specific features.
`----

http://www.linux.org//news/2006/10/31/0006.html

Behind the upsurge in Chinese open source communities

,----[ Quote ]
| Part of the momentum behind this change comes from the Chinese
| government, which now regards open source communities as a key to
| its software industry and will put more resources toward them in its
| eleventh Five-Year-Plan period (2006-2010). "As a banner of China's
| Linux industry, Red Flag no doubt has more responsibilities to
| advocate the government's new tactic.
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/27/1829255&from=rss

Ubuntu's official launch in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Shuttleworth, founder of the Ubuntu project, was in Beijing
| last week for Ubuntu's official China launch. The event was
| overwhelmingly successful.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,61965081,00.htm

RPLinux: China's Answer to the $100 PC

,----[ Quote ]
| What do you think? Can China succeed in making a true seamless blend of
| their Linux distribution of choice with their home grown hardware? It's
| no small feat to be sure; however, I personally believe that they are
| likely up to the challenge.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2350&Itemid=46...

Red Hat sees FY07 greater China sales up 100 pct

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Inc., a distributor of open-source Linux software, expects its
| sales in the greater China region to double in fiscal 2007 and grow by
| 85 percent in fiscal 2008, an executive said on Tuesday. "Our plan is to
| have 100 percent growth this year, and 85 percent growth next year,"
| Michael Chen, general manager of Red Hat China, told Reuters in an
| interview.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060926...
http://tinyurl.com/rdrsg

China's Digit Digit Adds Linux-based Flames

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest version of the VFX system - Flame 2007 - takes advantage of
| 64-bit multi-core computing, storage and networking technologies to
| provide large productivity gains for users performing compositing,
| tracking, color correction and visual effects.
`----

http://www.postmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E...
http://tinyurl.com/yggx4b

China has its own open document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Put this in your pipe and smoke it: China has its own open document
| format, the Uniform Office Format (UOF), that they are working to
| harmonize with ODF...
|
| All the plotting and planning here in the US was for absolutely
| nothing. ODF wins.
`----

Converter Enables Conversion Between ODF & Chinese Document Format (UOF)

,----[ Quote ]
| Peking University recently released a program to convert office
| documents between OpenDocument Format and the Specification for
| the Chinese office file format based on XML (UOF for short).
`----

Wake Up Morning Post

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source companies in China can't look to the likes of IBM, SUN
| and Novell to bring them out of their closets through acquisition,
| partnerships or staunching Microsoft's growth. Chinese companies are
| going to have to learn to compete as their Western peers have.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,61966769,00.htm

Treachery In The Trenches

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe that most people do not grasp the immense entity of Microsoft.
| This is an organization and a man who commands the attention and bidding
| of world leaders. On a recent trip to America, the President of China
| spent his first evening in the United States, not with our President,
| but Bill Gates. He was the guest of the Gates mansion that first
| evening and the guest of honor for a dinner attended by over one
| hundred people. Why? To ask him to crack down on Software piracy
| and to insure that his computer manufacturers put Microsoft Windows
| on thier newly made machines instead of shipping them with no OS. He
| didn't see the President of the United States for over 36 hours...he
| spent that time with Bill Gates at his home and at the Redmond
| Campus.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/88-Treachery-In-The-Trenches.htm...

IBM to Shift China Focus Toward Tech, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| "Our business is changing, so our investment in China will also
| change," said Michael Cannon-Brookes, IBM's vice-president of
| business development for China and India.
|
| He said the technology firm's investments will go to areas such as
| IT service, business transformation, Linux operating systems, and
| people. IBM has already invested billions of U.S. dollars in China.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/54277.html

Red Flag Linux may be next on IBM's agenda

,----[ Quote ]
| Jollans also addressed a question about why IBM did not release its own
| Linux distribution several years ago.
|
| "We thought that if IBM was in the market as an 800-pound gorilla, it
| would have a negative effect on the Linux market. We won't do something
| that sets us against the community," he said.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/092206-red-flag-linux-may-be.html

Dell's secret Linux fling

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell's love affair with Linux is a clandestine affair these days,
| conducted in secret, away from disapproving eyes. But now the pair
| have been spotted in China.
|
| When Michael Dell first saw the web-footed beauty, he fell head over
| heels. Six years ago Dell pledged a series of strategic investments
| in Linux companies, including Eazel and Red Hat. The romance
| attracted the disapproval of Microsoft however, and barely lasted
| weeks. Very quietly, Dell dumped the bird.
|
| It later emerged that Microsoft's OEM enforcer Joachim Kempin had
| promised Steve Ballmer that he'd be putting the screws on PCb
| uilders, or "hitting the OEMs harder" in his words.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft loses top executive in China

,----[ Quote ]
| "Li Gong is currently exploring other career opportunities," Microsoft said
| in a statement to News.com.
|
| [...]
|
| In a September 2005 Business Week interview, Ballmer touted Gong as
| one of several key hires that Microsoft had made.
|
| Most recently, Gong has served as managing director of Windows LiveC
| hina and as Vice President of Microsoft China R&D Group.
|
| Gong's name came up in the case over Kai-Fu Lee, the top Microsoft
| executive whose hiring by Google sparked a multistate legal battle.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6149735.html

Will 2007 be the Year for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,61981756,00.htm

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Steve Ballmer Parties like It's 1995
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:50:56 +0000

You would have thought that Ballmer could handle a multi-head display,
wouldn't you? This is a little strange:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/01/27/business/20070128_BALLMER_SLIDESHOW_2...

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Ballmer may have a decidedly low-key office, but he uses an
| Excel spreadsheet to track his calendar.
`----

No wonder Steve and Bill argue that Vista packs a lot of INNOVA~1. Maybe we
should introduce Steve to KOrganizer. Or at least give him a multi-head
machine with XGL enabled. Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Upcoming Releases of Linux Distributions
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:52:46 +0000

Upcoming releases of Linux/BSD distros

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://linuxworld-kosava.blogspot.com/2007/01/upcoming-releases-of-linuxbsd-distros...
http://tinyurl.com/36fz6x

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Microsoft's Game to Lose and Microsoft's Game to Cheat
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:57:35 +0000

Microsoft's Game to Lose

,----[ Quote ]
| If Vista, over time, fails to meet the market's high expectations,
| a good chunk of last year's gains could evaporate. In other words,
| Vista is now Microsoft's game to lose.
`----

http://online.barrons.com/public/article/SB117046721421997023-6z_ntXi4h4DtYvtFZCp1yIPyOOU_20070305...
http://tinyurl.com/2n3otv

Contra-indications for Ecma 376 spec, still not rebutted

,----[ Quote ]
| Ecma 376 is known by various other names including DOCX, MOOX, OOXML,
| EOOXML and MS Office Open XML. The profusion of alternate namings make
| the issue much more difficult to track.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/2/4/14314

Related:

Microsoft's Definition of Contradictions and The Art of Rewriting History

,----[ Quote ]
| Those that have been involved in National Bodies worldwide in the
| latest standardization exercise involving Microsoft OOXML may
| have been puzzled at first, then later amused, that Microsoft
| representatives have chosen to rewrite not only well accepted
| definition of contradiction but also portions of technological
| history.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/02/microsofts_defi.html

How Many Contradictions Can Dance on the Head of a Pin?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070131184453743

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] New Netscape Web Browser Comes to Linux
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 12:37:49 +0000

Netscape Announces Cross-Platform Netscape 9 to be Developed In-House

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=20397

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Patent Madness Highlights Need for Reform
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 12:42:00 +0000

SMEs to get IP health check

,----[ Quote ]
| "For example, a hairdresser's might have a small CRM database, but
| have they considered making sure they are properly licensed?" he
| told us. "They also need to know how to secure the rights to
| the music they play while they are cutting hair."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/05/ip_health_check/

'Electric Slide' on slippery DMCA slope

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/Electric+Slide+on+slippery+DMCA+slope/2100-1030_3-6156021.html...
http://tinyurl.com/28kqj5

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Showing Vista's Incomplete Catchup Work with Linux
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 12:57:53 +0000

Vista- Reasons to upgrade

,----[Quote ]

`----

http://www.talkunafraid.co.uk/2007/01/30/general/vista-reasons-to-upgrade/

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Pro-Microsoft Anti-Linux Article (for Amusement)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:14:52 +0000

Winning the Linux Wars

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Killers
|
| Addressing cost and security are just two of the weapons partners can
| use to combat Linux. Other tactics include:
|
| Raising the caution flag...
|
| Playing the R&D card....
|
| Going head to head....
`----

http://mcpmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=539

Just comes to show how scared they are.

Related:

,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
| "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
| fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
|
| [...]
|
| "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
| don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
| competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
| that we sponsored it."
`----

http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

Fighting Claims That Open Source Is Insecure?

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately there has been a HUGE push by Certified Microsoft
| Professionals and their companies to call clients and warn
| them of the dangers of open source. This week I received calls
| from 4 different customers that they were warned that they are
| dangerously insecure because they run Open Source Operating
| systems or Software because 'anyone can read the code and hack
| you with ease' they are being told. Other colleagues in the area
| also have noticed this about 3 Microsoft Partners or so they claim
| have been going out of their way to strike fear of OSS in
| companies that respond with 'yes we use Open source or Linux'
| when the sales call comes in.
`----

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/01/0413212&from=rss

Understanding Open Source technology

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thetidenews.com/article.aspx?qrDate=01/31/2007&qrTitle=Understanding%...

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] New Push for Open Source Hardware Announced Today
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:18:02 +0000

Perens set to tackle open-source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, Perens plans to announce the TAPR Open Hardware
| License, a document written by John Ackerman designed
| specifically to govern hardware designs that can be
| modified and redistrubuted. Perens plans to submit the
| license to the Open Source Initiative for its as an
| open-source license.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6156093.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=ne...
http://tinyurl.com/2noydh

Related:

Free Linux Driver Development!

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, that's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all
| companies free Linux driver development. No longer do you have
| to suffer through all of the different examples in the Linux
| Device Driver Kit, or pick through the thousands of example
| drivers in the Linux kernel source tree trying to determine
| which one is the closest to what you need to do.
`----

http://www.kroah.com/log/2007/01/29/#free_drivers

Linux Hardware Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the problem with that argument: Most hardware does not
| work "Out of the box" in Windows. When people say their hardware
| worked "Out of the box" I don't think they are talking about "Out
| of the blue Windows XP box." What I think they mean is "Out of
| the Dell box."
|
| [...]
|
| The catch is that you must buy hardware that is supported by the
| software you intend to run on it. Is this really so unreasonable?
| Would you buy a Sun Spark workstation and try to run Windows on it?
`----

http://www.jeeperscats.com/?p=7

Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)

,----[ Quote ]
| Architectures: Linux Windows
| PC x86 Y Y
| PC AMD64 Y Y
| PC IA-64 Y Y
| Alpha Y N
| PPC Y N
| PPC64 Y N
| SPARC32 Y N
| SPARC64 Y N
| ARM Y N
| HP PA-RISC Y N
| Moto 680x0 Y N
| MIPS Y N
| MIPS (DEC) Y N
| PowerPC Y N
| IBM S/390 Y N
| others Y N
`----

http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%%20Comparison%%20Linux%%20vs%%20Windows

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

HP all-in-one device works great with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Once the ink cartridges have been installed and aligned --
| the unit first prints an alignment page, then scans it to
| check for needed adjustment -- Windows and Mac OS users are
| told to load their respective CDs to install the drivers.
| Linux users can scoff at the intellectual property
| handcuffs imposed on their non-free brothers and sisters
| and simply configure the unit from the friendly confines of their
| distribution.
`----

The Epson Stylus C88 Printer, works in Linux but not in Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, I'm confused. I installed Ubuntu on a spare machine
| because my printer started printing all wrong. I just
| completed sharing it with CUPS and Samba and what happens?
| It still prints all wrong from Windows!
|
| [...]
|
| Just so you know, I did go back and install the drivers that
| came on the CD-ROM, same problem. I then downloaded the most
| recent drivers from Epson, same problem.
`----

http://hmtk.com/blog/index.php?/archives/82-The-Epson-Stylus-C88-Printer,-works-in...

Kernel Space: State of the Nouveau project

,----[ Quote ]
| While NVidia refuses to release programming information for
| its video chipsets, one ambitious project is reverse
| engineering the hardware to develop open source support.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/012407-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

First Open Graphics board appears

,----[ Quote ]
| This project is on the basis that a GPU should not end up with
| tons of propriatary software or hardware, containing hidden
| problems that aren't mentioned to the press, and yet cause
| nervous breakdowns for developers worldwide.
`----

Interview: Timothy Miller, Open Graphics Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The OGP grew rapidly after I first started it, and it's continued to
| grow gradually since then. Now, we have Traversal Technology and also
| the Open Hardware Foundation that's dedicated to the non-profit,
| community, and democratic aspects of the project. Our mailing list has
| over 500 members, including well-known Linux kernel hackers, 3D graphics
| experts, college professors, representatives of many other open
| source projects, hardware designers, and people who want to become
| hardware designers.
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/130/ruecker.html

XGI Technology Drivers Revisited

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been one year to the day since XGI Technology had last released
| a Volari Linux display driver and about 14 months since we had
| first delivered word of XGI considering open-source 3D display drivers.
| Where do things now stand for XGI Technology? We will tell you all
| of the details today where things are for this Taiwan graphics company.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=619&num=1

Nouveau: A First Look

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=614&num=1

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Independent Security Experts Debunk Windows Vista Security
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:21:14 +0000

Security watchers lambast Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista has only just left the starting blocks but security
| watchers have wasted no time in challenging claims that it provides
| improved security defences.
|
| Virus Bulletin, the independent security certification body, has
| revealed that Microsoft's own anti-virus product, Live OneCare, is
| among four anti-virus testing products that failed to reach the
| standard required for approval. McAfee's VirusScan anti-virus
| software also failed the tough VB100 certification process. Eleven
| of the 15 products submitted passed the tests.
|
| [...]
|
| While Vista contains a number of security improvements, notably
| better anti-spyware defences, additional protection is required.
| "Although many improvements have been made, Vista cannot fend off
| today's malware without help from security products," Hawes added.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/05/vista_security_criticisms/

Related:

Windows Vista: It's More Secure, We Promise

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, allow me to take a moment to remind everyone of something that
| you might not remember - XP was also touted as being ultra secure.
| Seriously, can anyone honestly look themselves in the mirror and say
| this is the gospel truth? You have got to be kidding me. Similar to
| XP, Microsoft promises to have the most secure Windows version to date
| yet again.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2357&Itemid=44...

eEye Research

,----[ Quote ]
| A flaw exists within Windows Vista that allows local privilege
| escalation to SYSTEM.
|
| Operating Systems Affected:
| Microsoft Windows Vista
`----

http://research.eeye.com/html/advisories/upcoming/20070119a.html

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports. "Despite all that, the net is still working,
| which is pretty amazing. It's pretty resilient," he said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

How Long Does It Take To Catch A Computer Virus?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002712&subSection...

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Linux Steals Microsoft's Thunder in Toronto?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:26:40 +0000

Operation Cold Comfort Successful

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://dave-sullivan.com/entries/5/

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] DistroWatch Weekly Newsletter is Out
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:30:31 +0000

DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 188, 5 February 2007

Welcome to this year's 6th issue of DistroWatch Weekly!

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070205#news

------------------------------

Subject: [News] Linux Gains at Windows' Expense
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 11:20:29 +0000

Is Windows losing out & Linux gaining?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Infotech/Is_Windows_lo...
http://tinyurl.com/2pjh4d
----------------------------

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Computer Aided Design Programs Slowed Down by 80%%-98%% in Windows Vista
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 11:47:00 +0000

CAD Programs 98%% Slower in Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| This doesn't mean that their aren't issues with CAD programs, or
| programs in many other categories as well, when running in Vista.
| What it does suggest is that Vista is young, and Vista drivers are
| even younger. You can expect issues like this until the software
| and the drivers mature a bit.
`----

http://itsvista.com/2007/02/cad-programs-98-slower-in-vista/

Suddenly Linux seems very mature. The same goes for hardware support in
machines that were actually designed /for/ Windows (see below).

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

And the same goes for games, e.g.:

World of Warcraft Technical Support - Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Many Windows Vista threads have been popping up lately. Let's use
| this thread to discuss any issues with the game on Windows Vista.
`----

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=62062457&sid=1

How about music?

MSN Music UK does not play on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I cannot play MSN Music UK's music files on Vista - I've over 150
| tracks that I purchased - and it doesn't work.
`----

http://badgerguy.livejournal.com/179419.html

Vista and iTunes Don't Play Nice Together

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/01/vista-and-itunes-dont-play-nice-together/
----------------------------

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Users Take the Driver's Seat in Innovation, with Linux
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:22:58 +0000

The End Users Will Be Driving...

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId...
http://tinyurl.com/yusor2

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Australian School Runs GNU/inux Behind the Scenes
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:26:12 +0000

Sydney school tames twofold IT shop

,----[ Quote ]
| SCEGGS has about 830 students, 100 staff, 500 desktops, 200
| laptops, 13 servers, and an IT team of eight.
|
| The school's mail is delivered with the Postfix MTA on Linux and
| gets distributed to GroupWise.
|
| "We have moved the Linux servers to a clustered file system with
| OCFS2 which is supported natively in SUSE 10 and the data is stored
| in an Apple raid array with 1.8TB of storage,' Ralph said.
|
| Also in use are a number of MySQL-based applications for learning
| management systems. The school is now moving off one open source
| application, AUC, which it has used since 1999, to Moodle, a modern
| learning and content management system.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=905401168&rid=-50

Another Australian school:

School turns to open source to cut cost, foster student thinking

,----[ Quote ]
| The school's workstations operate on the Mandriva 2006 Operating System,
| and run free and open source software options including: Open Office
| for office applications; Mozilla Firefox for Web browsing; GIMP for
| image editing; and Evolution mail for sending and receiving e-mail.
|
| At the core of the network is a simple HP ProLiant ML 110 server
| running Mandrake 10.1, NIS and NFS, and that connects to the Internet
| via a 1.5Mbps broadband connection.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1708539119;fp;2;fpid;1

On Linux in Australia:

Australia To Trial OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| In a surprise announcement, the government of the Northern Territory
| has announced that they are testing the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)
| machines with a view to launching trials in remote communities.
|
| The OLPC has been designed for children in the developing world, in
| regions that struggle for basic infrastructure like clean running
| water, and electricity. So it may come as a surprise to some that
| an Australian state government has put up a hand to trial the new
| laptops.
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/Australia_To_Trial_OLPC

GLiNTECH Helps Boost Nokia's Customer Service Capability with Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Thomas continues, "Using open source technology will enable us to
| develop a customised and unique technology solution that caters
| directly for our needs, gives us more flexibility and helps
| provide easier access to information for our customers and
| Care personnel."
`----

Linux on BOM's radar

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux R&D platform will support research in a number of BOM
| divisions including the Bureau of Meteorology Research Centre,
| National Meteorological and Oceanographic Centre, Space Based
| Observations Section and data management group.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21037555%%5E15319%%5E%%5Enbv%%5E...
http://tinyurl.com/v4o7z

Related and recent (mainly Linux in Australia):

DET considers Linux on the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The NSW Department of Education and Training (DET) may increase
| the penetration of Linux on its 165,000 desktop fleet because
| open source is "clearly an industry trend".
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Video_DET_considers_Linux_on_the_desktop/0...

NSW steers clear of Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| NSW government chief information officer Paul Edgecumbe said that the
| state's CIO executive council, which comprises technology bosses from
| many of NSW's largest computer and communications users, were not
| backing a move to Vista.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21024831%%5E15306,00.html

Talent Not Important At NineMSN

,----[ Quote ]
| In the last 6 months the following have left the organisation:
|
| * CEO
| * CTO
| * CFO
| * Marketing Director.
| * National Sales Manager
| * Executive Producer (News & Sport)
| * Executive Producer (Sport)
| * Head of Search
| * Producer (Sport)
| * Senior Copy Editor (7+ years @ ninemsn)
| * Multimedia Producer (5+ years)
| * The entire sports team (20 years experience) left to
| competitors in < 2 months
| * Producer of Hotmail, Messenger and Spaces
|
| [...]
|
| I'm all for cleaning house every once in a while, but this list is
| astonishing.
|
| [...]
|
| Better get a new ship is all I can say. This spells big trouble for
| Microsoft because it gets to a point where no matter how deep your pockets,
| if you can't recruit and retain talent, then the game is certainly up.
`----

http://blog.eightblack.com/2006/talent-not-important-at-ninemsn/

Linux powers nation's largest satellite network

,----[ Quote ]
| Some 75 towns across New South Wales have started accessing the
| Internet through Linux-based satellite routers in what is said to be
| largest network of its type in Australia spanning upwards of 800,000s
| quare kilometres.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;55499617;fp;4;fpid;18

Office, Vista "too expensive" for SMEs

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Sydney Morning Herald, David Hanrahan, of IT solutions
| and services provider Dimension Data said SMEs are staying away in
| droves because Office is a lot more expensive and facing competition
| from free open software.
`---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Vista: Costs limit Education Dept deployment

,----[ Quote ]
| After more than eight months of beta testing Microsoft Windows
| Vista, licensing and implementation costs have stymied mass
| adoption at the NSW Department of Education and Training (DET).
|
| [...]
|
| DET has one of the largest IT infrastructures in the country with
| 1.3 million users spread across 2,500 locations. Its desktop fleet
| consists of 250,000 devices of which 160,000 are personal computers.M
| acs make up 15 percent to 20 percent of the total, and are more
| common in primary schools.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Vista_Costs_limit_Education_Dept_deployment/0...

Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has been talking up Office 2007 ahead of its business launch
| on November 30. However, the recently departed deputy CIO of one of
| Australia's biggest government Microsoft sites believes introducing
| the new version of Microsoft Office may be the company's biggest
| ever disaster.
`----

Feds assess open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Federal government use of open-source software will be examined to assess
| how many agencies have adopted Linux and other systems.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20553874%%5E15441%%5E%%5Enbv%%5E15306...

Talking Linux in Sydney

,----[ Quote ]

`----

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Ubuntu Fills the Gap of (Old) Red Hat and SCO
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:32:47 +0000

Thrifty speeds up IT revolution

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;117570576

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Linux-based Telephony Makes Impact in the Enterprise
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:35:47 +0000

AsteriskNow Rocks Open Source Telecom World

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.crn.com/sections/channelbusiness/channelbusiness.jhtml?articleId=1970...

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Viral Marketing - Microsoft to Asia: What's Wrong With You?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:08:08 +0000

WhatsWrongWithU

,----[ Quote ]
| The site is targetted to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea, with an
| abrasive attempt at in your face attitude. However, one has to
| wonder if the whole thing will come off as more than a little insulting.
`----

http://www.armchairempire.com/News/?p=187

Recent examples of viral marketing from Microsoft:

Those Microsoft Vista ads are really bizarre

,----[ Quote ]
| I know that Martin is a spokesman for the product, and he even
| starred in some of the spots, but they were very confusing and
| offputting, especially if you tuned into the special halfway
| through and didn't hear anything about Microsoft Vista.
|
| Actually, the whole idea behind the ads makes me think someone
| at the ad agency or Microsoft is a Lost fan. The old guy in
| charge of an odd secret organizations (The Institute For
| Advanced Personhood), telling you to go to a site that will
| help you get rid of your clutter, the retro look of the spots,
| the use of old footage and computers. Very Hanso-ish, very viral.
| But I wonder if they're too odd to be successful?
`----

http://www.adjab.com/2007/01/15/those-microsoft-vista-ads-are-really-bizarre/

Microsoft Project origami

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqVszfrB_VI&eurl=

Microsoft's mystery game is Vista promo

,----[ Quote ]
| A mysterious online countdown. USB drives containing cipher keys.
| Notes and videos from a woman who calls herself Loki. Bloggers'
| reports of extravagant gifts, marked with a return address for
| Microsoft's headquarters.
|
| And all trails leading to a Web site for something called
| Vanishing Point.
|
| After weeks of sifting through clues, bloggers, gamers and
| technology enthusiasts got some relief this week when
| Microsoft Corp. revealed that Vanishing Point is part of a
| viral-marketing campaign for Vista, the new PC operating
| system set for a consumer launch later this month.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070109/ap_on_hi_te/gadget_show_vista_promotion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictitious_company_names_used_by_Microsoft

Whatever Happened To The Origami?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately Origami is a classic example of how a viral buzz can
| work against a product release. Expectations were too high and the
| final product was puzzling and didn't fulfill any specific consumer
| demand. By the time the systems were actually released the hype had
| died down and there was practically zero consumer awareness. I've
| actually considered the possibility that the viral Origami campaign
| was a warm-up for the Zune campaign that followed later in the summer.
`----

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/hardware/whatever-happened-to-the-origami/

Notable examples of viral marketing

,----[ Quote ]
| # ilovebees.com - viral marketing for Halo 2
| # Hotmail, promoted largely by links at the bottoms of emails sent by
| its users, is the classic viral marketing example
| # Microsoft's Origami Project campaign
| # Microsoft's Xbox 360 campaign, called OurColony
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

Has Demetri Martin Jumped the Shark by Getting Into Bed with Microsoft?
Clarification on "Clearification" Marketing Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| When I first saw the Clearification website, I just thought it was
| Demetri's new project. But I did wonder why the videos were of such
| high production value. Turns out that Microsoft is footing the bill
| to not only this site, but are also underwritting his current tour.
`----

http://www.themodernage.org/2006/11/12/demetri-martin-bring-clearification-to-the.../

Stop Digital Amnesia: 'Quattro' Home Server viral campaign?

,----[ Quote ]
| Another day, another Microsoft viral campaign. This time, The fake
| Center for Digital Amnesia Awareness has launched an online campaign called
| "Stop Digital Amnesia" (via Furrygoat) - a medical-like project
| discussing the problems and solution for a made-up disorder called
| "digital amnesia".
`----

http://www.istartedsomething.com.nyud.net:8080/20061225/stop-digital-amnesia/

Microsoft and AMD club together for space-flight ticket

,----[ Quote ]
| The details of the competition have been slipping slowly out over the
| last few weeks, for maximum affect, with clues sent out to bloggers
| unannounced and various events scheduled to form part of the
| puzzles.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/ms_amd_space_flight/

Bill Gates: "Show us your Wow and win a trip around the world"

,----[ Quote ]
| You're not doing this in vain though. Microsoft promises to offer
| a Vista Ultimate PC in every country/region as a prize for the best
| Wow, and from the all submissions, the best Wow-er will receive a
| high definition video camera, AND a seven-days trip around the world
| to see the most stunning vistas, including Sydney's Harbor Bridge and
| Opera House, Beijing's Great Wall, Agra's Taj Mahal, New York?s
| Empire State Building and Paris? Eiffel Tower.
`----

http://www.our-picks.com/archives/2007/01/08/bill-gates-show-us-your-wow-and-win.../
http://tinyurl.com/wampr

Seattle Area Bloggers Needed for Microsoft User Research Study

,----[ Quote ]
| For your participation, we'll give you your choice of retail
| software and hardware from our extensive list. Current titles
| include the latest Xbox, Xbox 360, and PC games, keyboards,
| Microsoft Office, Windows, productivity software and much more.
`----

http://blogs.msdn.com/usability_recruiting/archive/2007/01/05/seattle-area-bloggers...

Bloggers meet Mr. Bill (Gates)

,----[ Quote ]
| That meeting is to help Web developers understand how to "unlock new
| revenue opportunities" through technology and content, which could
| include podcasts and blogs. The Microsoft sessions wraps up with a
| one-hour q-and-a up with Bill Gates.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%%7BD18F3BC9%%2DF59E%%2D4D...
http://tinyurl.com/yjaseg

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the most frustrating thing about the practice of giving
| bloggers free stuff: it pisses in the well, reducing the credibility
| of all blogs. I'm upset that people trust me less because of the
| behavior of other bloggers. Don't even get me started about PayPerPost.
|
| [...]
|
| Do not, under any circumstances, consider upgrading an XP system to
| Vista... even if it's fairly new and even if it's Vista Supremo
| Premium Ultra-Capable.
`----

Microsoft's Laptop Giveaway Becoming PR Disaster?

,----[ Quote ]
| This thing is starting to feel like a PR disaster. Bloggers are
| starting to smell blood and this thing very well may begin to
| turn into yet another episode of bloggers gone wild.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061228/23174_id.html?.v=1

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| better things about us.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Now Microsoft Wants Its Laptop Back

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and AMD sent out a pile of very expensive (yet trashy
| looking) laptops to a number of bloggers over the past week. We
| were told we could keep them - now after a day of minor outrage
| by some people they are emailing us back with the following
| request that we not keep them after all!
`----

http://marshallk.com/microsoft-wants-its-laptops-back

Microsoft Sent A Free Laptop With Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm not sure how I was selected to be one of the people receiving this
| (I'm assuming there are others, but I haven't come across any yet).
| It could be that they are reaching out to bloggers who are Mac users
| (I switched to a Mac back when OS X came out) or it might just be that
| people I know who work for Microsoft or other influential bloggers
| recommended me
`----

http://laughingsquid.com/microsoft-sent-a-free-laptop-with-windows-vista/

Windows Live OneCare competition

,----[ Quote ]
| How to enter:
|
| You have from now until 25th December to post on your own blog about
| why you'd like Santa to visit you, and then tag it with "Windows Live
| OneCare Competition". Only posts appearing on this technorati page or
| that trackback to this post will be considered as entries. From
| these we'll select 5 winners at random.
`----

http://liveside.net/blogs/main/archive/2006/12/20/windows-live-onecare-competition...

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Vista's Sound Issues Continue to Accumulate
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:25:05 +0000

Vista's 3D audio problems - should you be upset?

,----[ Quote ]
| By now many people will have installed and configured Windows Vista
| only to find that, despite their research and best efforts,
| multi-channel audio in PC games is a non-event.
`----

http://www.techwrighter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=...

More sound issues:

Vista and music still chums
PR spin starts FUD about FUD

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/02/02/vista_music_fud/

MSN Music UK does not play on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I cannot play MSN Music UK's music files on Vista - I've over 150
| tracks that I purchased - and it doesn't work.
`----

http://badgerguy.livejournal.com/179419.html

Vista and iTunes Don't Play Nice Together

,----[ Quote ]
| Various folks are reporting that you cannot authorize iTunes
| (for WIndows) on Vista to play things purchased from the iTunes Store.
`----

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/01/vista-and-itunes-dont-play-nice-together/

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

Sound card issues.

Windows Vista's Hideous Wakeup Support

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/299

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be
| hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders."
`----

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]

`----

------------------------------

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] NYTimes Now So Wowed by Windows Vista
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:33:25 +0000

Microsoft's Vista Debut Wasn't Nearly So 'Wow'

,----[ Quote ]
| But there weren't many people saying "Wow" about Microsoft's marketing
| last week. Despite reportedly committing close to $500 million on its Vista
| marketing worldwide, Microsoft did not generate nearly the excitement last
| week as it did 12 years ago when the company introduced its 1995 operating
| system with rock singers and a Super Bowl tie-in.
|
| This time around, Microsoft focused much more of its efforts on an outlet
| that was less common in 1995: the Internet.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/technology/05microsoft.html?_r=1&ex=157680000&en...
http://tinyurl.com/2mhak9

To repeat, "Microsoft focused much more of its efforts on an outlet
that was less common in 1995: the Internet."

Did you folks hand around C.O.L.A. around the time of the release? The
Microsoft shills were 'celebrating' like they had got their wage doubled.
And that's just a fraction of what Microsoft has been doing on the Web in
order to promote Vista (including gifts to bloggers, see below). Regardless,
here's another take from a respectable blogger:

A Few Thoughts About Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I purchased a new computer this week and specified that it should have
| Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed at the factory...
|
| [...]
|
| In short, I'd suggest that you not rush into the upgrade. The
| longer you procrastinate, the cheaper the price. When the time
| for an upgrade does arrive, I would encourage you to also
| consider the Macintosh. You may be glad that you did.
`----

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2007/02/a_few_thoughts_.html

Related:

A Wake-Up Call to Microsoft's PR Team

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/25/a-wake-up-call-to-microsofts-pr-team/

`----

`----

`----

`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

,----[ Quote ]
| Could there be more bad news? Of course! Even Paul Thurrott isn't
| impressed with the Zune, calling its pricing strategy the "makings of
| a disaster." Misery! Not only has the Zune suffered a horrific wreck of
| a product introduction, but Annie Wilkes is at the foot of the bed saying
| she doesn't approve of how things are going.
|
| If your number one fan is sending you hate mail, you have a problem.
| So what's with all the Zune related web sites carefully repeating the
| same talking points? It's called astroturfing.
|
| Instead of inspiring actual interest in a grassroots fashion, Microsoft
| has resorted to spreading fake grass, crafting each site to suggestt
| he appearance of something other than the advertisement it is.
|
| This is similar to the scam Microsoft pulled with its own imitation of
| Apple's Switchers ad campaign. Titled "Confessions of a Mac to PC
| Convert," the ad portrayed a professionally dressed woman complaining
| about her Mac, but ended up being a canned picture pulled from stock
| photography and voiced by a professional writer.
|
| Similarly, Greenpeace staffers have assigned to post astroturf comments
| on websites saying "I'm a Mac user and gosh darn it I think that
| Greenpeace is alright with all their concern about the ecology!" More
| on that scam later!
|
| One would expect a certain level of interest and excitement out of
| Microsoft's own users, but that isn't really happening. Nearly every
| Zune site on the web is carefully stepping around the piles of problems
| to spend a lot of time on Microsoft supplied bullet points, including
| the "celebration of music," the slightly larger or at least
| stretched display, and how wireless DRM sharing is such a
| brilliant idea.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/9F60D74A-0E27-4F5F-B88D-835974628809.html

MSN Is Spamming The Blogosphere

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.scott-o-rama.com/2006/12/06/msn-is-spamming-the-blogosphere/

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/14/google_lobby/

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html

`----

`----

From: Roy Schestowitz schestowitz.com>
Subject: [News] Linux Recommended as the Operating System for a Web Developer
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:36:12 +0000

The web developer's operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| 1) The code is written, initially executed, and tested on the same
| platform that will ultimately power the application.
|
| 2) Working in a linux environment makes you acutely aware of
| intellectual property.
|
| 3) Linux makes you learn new things.
|
| [...]
|
| For these reasons I highly recommend developing your web application
| on a linux machine. It's not for everyone yet, but it's always
| improving and it'll make you a better developer.
`----

http://blog.boxily.com/

End of Cola Digest

--