Group: alt.tv.angel · Group Profile
Author: William George Ferguson
Date: Aug 19, 2007 01:16

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:00:04 -0400, Manfred Mann gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:32:48 GMT, peachy ashie passion
>hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>BTR1701 wrote:
>>
>>> from variety
>>>
>>> HBO rolls with Ball's 'True Blood'
>>> 'Six Feet Under' creator to act as showrunner
>>> By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER
>>>
>>> Alan Ball is back in HBO's court, as the paycabler has officially
>>> picked up the vampire series "True Blood."
>>
>> Jeez I wish I believed they could do that series justice.
>>
>> They are almost doomed to screw this up, aren't they?
>
>Here is a radical thought: wait until you see the show before
>condemning it.

Depends on what you mean by 'do it justice', of course. The series will,
pretty much by necessity deviate from the plot and backstory of the books.
Books and tv weries are different media, and what works on one doesn't
necesarily work on the other. The important thing is whether they capture
the flavor of the books and make an interesting and enjoyable show out of
it.

Here's a short report card (where it isn't my take, but my read of a
consensus, I'll so indicate)

News From the Edge > The Chronicle
Extremely changed from the books, didn't really capture the flavor of the
books, did make an interesting and enjoyable show.

Dragonriders of Pern
What the network (WB) wanted was so at odds with the books that the
producer (Ron Moore) mercy killed it before the pilot was completed, out of
respect for Anne McCaffery. (the network wanted Lessa, Warrior Princess)

Dresden Files
Somewhat changed from the books. I didn't watch it, but consensus seems to
be that it did capture the flavor of the books and did make an interesting
and enjoyable show.

Victory Nelson Mysteries > Blood Ties
Only one really major change from the books, and it captures the flavor
very well.

Painkiller Jane
Somewhat changed from the comic. I don't read the comic, so I can't
address how well it captures the flavor, general consensus is that it sucks
lemons (I like it better than the general consensus, which is kind of my
praising it with faint damns)

Not Genre, but close
Temperence Brennen Investigations > Bones
Somewhat changed from the books, somewhat captures the flavor, does make an
interesting and enjoyable show.

So, book to series isn't necessarily absolutely abysmal (although it
certainly can be).

--
"Oh Buffy, you really do need to have
every square inch of your ass kicked."