Odds & Ends & Random thoughts.

Author: PreciousKittyKat
Date: Feb 12, 2008 21:39

I always question reasons why I smoked and try to reinforce reasons
why I quit. This weekend, it was so cold here in Minnesota, I decided
to watch some old favorite movies. One of which is Elevator to the
Gallows (Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud). It is a French subtitled movie
made in 1958. I dig that stuff. Anyways, as I sat down to watch it.
I cleared out the room when I put that in. The husband went upstairs
to play an XBOX game with our son and my daughter walked by shook her
head and said, "what is that you're watching"?!? She then promptly
removed herself and went down to her room with her friends.
So...there I am, really getting into this movie...all film noir, cool
jazz soundtrack by Miles Davis...and then...holy smokes! EVERYONE IN
THIS MOVIE IS SMOKING UP A STORM! They all smoke, the young,the old,
the kids, the main characters...smoke smoke smoke. All these old
'50's French films are that way. And you know what? The first thing
I thought was...and "Damn do they look good smoking". HUH?!? I
didn't think...ewwww gross. I thought..."Damn. Jeanne Moureau sure
looks sexy smoking...how cool". Uhm...I'm NOT supposed to think like
that at 6 months. And, I don't think it is junkie thinking. I really
do think that is why I started smoking...because it, in my own warped
way, think it looks very classy, sophisticated, sexy, whatever. I ...
Show full article (5.36Kb)
10 Comments
Re: Odds & Ends & Random thoughts.

Author: Marvin The Paranoid Android
Date: Feb 12, 2008 22:17

PKK!

Until 'Surround Smell' is invented, I guess smoking will always seem
Cool 'n' Sexy on film.

I still notice smoking/smokers in movies too but remember the reality
of the situation -- they don't 'get' to smoke -- they 'have' to smoke.

Cheers!

-- St Marvin Of Wii

Author: Sue
Date: Feb 12, 2008 22:53

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:39:22 -0800 (PST), "PreciousKittyKat@gmail.com"
gmail.com> wrote:
>I always question reasons why I smoked and try to reinforce reasons
>why I quit.

Your random thoughts are great. Thanks for sharing. I agree your
opinions about the "look" of smoking.
Sorry about your daughter. I have two smoking children and two not
(although one used to). My granddaughter smokes. :o(
Sue
no comments
Re: Odds & Ends & Random thoughts.

Author: robbb
Date: Feb 12, 2008 23:31

Thank you for an interesting and very thoughtful read!

Jeanne Moreau - looks fantabulous at age 80.

Yori Bertin - 67 and still with us!

Georges Poujouly died at 60

Jean Wall died of a heart attack at 58

Elga Andersen died at 59

Maurice Ronet died at 56

Cheers & hugs,
robbster

Author: Pam
Date: Feb 13, 2008 03:34

Author: PreciousKittyKat
Date: Feb 13, 2008 15:11

Author: robbb
Date: Feb 13, 2008 22:47

I am willing to guess that they died young from smoking-related
diseases. If you click on her picture here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Moreau
you will see that for 80 years young, she is still hot! She probably
has great genes, eats good food, takes loads of vitamin C, has good
sleep each night, and exercises :)
I think she did smoke when she was young but eventually quit.
Keep writing the good reads!

hugs,
robbster
Re: Odds & Ends & Random thoughts.

Author: Gracenote
Date: Feb 13, 2008 23:01

Author: DavidL
Date: Feb 13, 2008 23:05

On Feb 12, 2:39 pm, "PreciousKitty...@gmail.com"
gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not smoking and have absolutely no desire to smoke.  I'm not
> having any major craves.  Things aren't always perfect, but, they are
> certainly manageable.

Jeanne Moureau has nothing on you.
Keep setting a good example for that daughter.
no comments
Re: Odds & Ends & Random thoughts.

Author: FlatIronMike
Date: Feb 14, 2008 16:49

PKK! Thanks for an interesting topic! I do notice smoking when I
watch movies or TV. While I expect to see it in stuff pre-1970, I
totally am distressed how often it is still portrayed in today's
stuff. While I would think some smoking, depending on the topic,.
could make sense, to have smoking when it is not a necessary part of
the storyline really is a disservice, IMHO.

Thanks for the post and bootyful meter!

FlatironMike
1Y+
no comments