Group: alt.politics.usa.constitution · Group Profile
Author: cactus
Date: Jun 17, 2008 19:35

Cary Kittrell wrote:
> Frank@Pastor.it
>>

>> This is all lies. The ACLU is Anti-Christian, and Anti-Liberty.
>> The ACLU is Communist. The ACLU is UnAmerican. The ACLU Hates God and
>> jesus.
>
> Oh?
>

> *Rhode Island* ACLU (2006) filed an appeal in federal court on behalf of
> an inmate who was barred from preaching during Christian religious
> services, something he had done for the past seven years under the
> supervision and support of prison clergy. The prisoner, Wesley Spratt,
> believes his preaching is a calling from God. Prison officials cited
> vague and unsubstantiated security reasons for imposing the preaching
> ban on Mr. Spratt. The ACLU argued that the ban violates Mr. Spratt's
> religious freedoms guaranteed to prisoners under federal law.
> www.riaclu.org/20060111.html <http://www.riaclu.org/20060111.html>
>

> The ACLU of *Nevada* (2005) defended the free exercise rights and free
> speech rights of evangelical Christians to preach on the sidewalks of
> the Strip in Las Vegas.
> www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=3379553&nav=15MVaB2T
> <http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=3379553&nav=15MVaB2T>
>
> The ACLU of *New Mexico* (2005) joined forces with the American Family
> Association to succeed in freeing a preacher, Shawn Miller, from the
> Roosevelt County jail, where he was held for 109 days for street
> preaching. The ACLU became involved at the request of Miller's wife,
> Theresa. www.stcynic.com/blog/
> archives/2005/08/aclu_defends_another_street_pr.php
> <http://www.stcynic.com/blog/archives/2005/08/aclu_defends_another_street_pr.php>;
> www.aclu.org/religion/gen/19918prs20050804.html
> <http://www.aclu.org/religion/gen/19918prs20050804.html>
>
> The ACLU of *New Jersey* (2005) filed a a motion to submit a
> friend-of-the-court brief on behalf of Olivia Turton, a second-grade
> student who was forbidden from singing "Awesome God" in a voluntary,
> after-school talent show. The only restriction on the student's
> selection for the talent show was that it be "G-rated." The case, filed
> in federal court, is /Turton, et al. v. Frenchtown Elementary School, et
> al. /www.aclu.org/religion/schools/20174prs20050920.html
> <http://www.aclu.org/religion/schools/20174prs20050920.html>
>
> The ACLU of *Michigan* (2005) filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of
> Joseph Hanas, a Catholic, who was criminally punished for not completing
> a drug rehabilitation program run by the Pentecostal group. Part of the
> program required reading the Bible for seven hours a day, proclaiming
> one's salvation at the alter, and being tested on Pentecostal
> principles. Staff confiscated Mr. Hanas's rosary and told him
> Catholicism was witchcraft.
> www.aclu.org/religion/govtfunding/22354prs20051206.html
> <http://www.aclu.org/religion/govtfunding/22354prs20051206.html>
>
> The ACLU of *Pennsylvania* (2005) won a battle against Turtle Creek
> [...]

Nicely done. If he reads it, Frank might learn a thing or two. Maybe
he will see that the ACLU defends everybody's civil liberties. After
all, an attack on any group's rights is an attack on the rights of all
groups. But I'm not sure that he will ever understand that as long as
he thinks he is in the majority.
no comments
diggit! del.icio.us! reddit!