Group: alt.politics.usa.constitution · Group Profile
Author: buckeye-elo
Date: Oct 3, 2006 14:40

buckeye-elo@nospam.net wrote:
>:|
>:|High schools try out new Bible course
>:|http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=17469
>:|[excerpt]
>:|
>:|High schools try out new Bible course
>:|
>:|By The Associated Press
>:|10.02.06
>:|
>:|How do you teach the Bible in public schools?
>:|
>:|Very carefully.
>:|
>:|Yet this academic year, 78 U.S. school districts in 26 states are boldly
>:|embarking on a newsworthy experiment. They’re offering high school elective
>:|courses using a new textbook, The Bible and Its Influence alongside Bible
>:|versions chosen by each student.
>:|
>:|More schools might have signed up but the all-important teacher’s edition
>:|of the book wasn’t available for assessment till late August.
>:|
>:|The teacher’s version, by freelance writer and former college religion
>:|teacher Marjorie Haney Schafer, tells educators to cultivate “respect” —
>:|for the U.S. Constitution as interpreted by courts, for Bible scholarship,
>:|for divergent opinions about the Bible, for various religions and for the
>:|scriptural text itself.
>:|
>:|Don’t “disparage the Bible or treat its content lightly,” but also “avoid
>:|uncritical adulation” that violates academic objectivity, Schafer advises.
>:|[end excerpt]
>:|
>:|

PART I
My question is. Why?
Is there a shortage of good history books, philosophy books, good
literature books, etc?

Courses on Comparative Religion are already permitted, but that isn't what
those seeking this want.

The public school system has been and still is the #1 major target of the
radical religious right. They want to abolish it altogether or take it
over.

Legally speaking, it is rare and takes just the right combination of judges
and or justices to overturn established precedence.

A far more effective way is to chip away at that established precedence one
small victory at a time.

That is the purpose of getting these Bible programs into schools. Once that
is done then the next step will be easier.

It is a back door approach to get religion back into public schools as it
once was or as they perceive it as having once been.

It is a back door approach to eventually overturn
* 1962 -- Engel v Vitale
Because of the prohibition of the First Amendment against the enactment of
any law "respecting an establishment of religion," which is made applicable
to the States by the Fourteenth Amendment, state officials may not compose
an official state prayer and require that it be recited in the public
schools of the State at the beginning of each school day - even if the
prayer is denominationally neutral and pupils who wish to do so may remain
silent or be excused from the room while the prayer is being recited. Pp.
422-436.

* 1963 -- ABINGTON SCHOOL DIST. v. SCHEMPP -- banned school-directed
recital of the Lord's Prayer and reading of Bible passages as part of
"devotional exercises" in public schools.
* 1980 -- STONE v. GRAHAM -- banned the posting of the the Ten
Commandments on public school classroom walls.

One way this may go would be for them to get as many school districts
signed on as possible. Next would be to file suit in courts to get the Ten
Commandments into the public schools, not just the building in general but
posted in every classroom. The argument could go like this

Because of the influence that Bible has had on our history and culture we
were allowed to have elective Bible courses. The Ten Commandments which are
found in that Bible has had a equal importance on our history, they are
after all the basis of our legal system., and on our culture. Therefore if
courses on the Bible are permitted it seems only natural that the Ten
Commandments should be permitted in our schools and classrooms

Bare in mind a couple small victories equal a medium victory and a couple
medium vidctores equal some major precedence altering.

These folks are patient, They have goals and already have been working at
this since the late 50s early 60s

PART II
The problem is, it is a course on "The Bible" The Bible, as we generally
know it serves only Protestant Christianity.

The Catholics have their own version and there is a bloody history in this
country over that conflict In the mid 1800s people died in the streets of
some major U S Cities over the fact that the Bible referred to in public
schools was the King James version.

In site of the Judeo-Christian myth , which is truly a myth, Christianity
and the Jewish religion and how each uses the Bible have little in common.

How many everyday public school teachers are qualified to teach about the
Old Testament that will even come close to being the way it is used and
taught by those qualified to teach in among the Jews?

There should not be any courses elective or otherwise in public schools
about or on the Bible.

The only things that should be allowed is an elective comparative religion
course or an elective course on the various "Holy Books" of various
religions.

There is no way that this Bible course is not going to be abused and
misused.

There is a very real reason these various groups want a Bible only course
in public schools. its not really about the Bible, it is about something
much bigger.

You are invited to check out the following:

The Rise of the Theocratic States of America
http://members.tripod.com/~candst/theocracy.htm

American Theocrats - Past and Present
http://members.tripod.com/~candst/theocrats.htm

The Constitutional Principle: Separation of Church and State
http://members.tripod.com/~candst/index.html

[and to join the discussion group for the above site and/or Separation of
Church and State in general, listed below]

HRSepCnS · Hampton Roads [Virginia] SepChurch&State
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HRSepCnS/

[Its not just Hampton Roads folks who are members, there are members from
all over the US and a couple from overseas as well]

. . . You can't understand a phrase such as "Congress shall make no law
respecting an establishment of religion" by syllogistic reasoning. Words
take their meaning from social as well as textual contexts, which is why "a
page of history is worth a volume of logic." New York Trust Co. v. Eisner,
256 U.S. 345, 349, 41 S.Ct. 506, 507, 65 L.Ed. 963 (1921) (Holmes, J.).
Sherman v. Community Consol. Dist. 21, 980 F.2d 437, 445 (7th Cir. 1992)
. . .
USAF LT. COL (Ret) Buffman (Glen P. Goffin) wrote

"You pilot always into an unknown future;
facts are your only clue. Get the facts!"

That philosophy 'snipit' helped to get me, and my crew, through a good
many combat missions and far too many scary, inflight, emergencies.

It has also played a significant role in helping me to expose the
plethora of radical Christian propaganda and lies that we find at
almost every media turn.

THE CONSTITUTIONAL PRINCIPLE:
SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE

http://members.tripod.com/~candst/index.html