Re: Trouble with Ubuntu for Netbook computers
  Home FAQ Contact Sign in
alt.os.linux.ubuntu only
 
Advanced search
POPULAR GROUPS

more...

alt.os.linux.ubuntu Profileā€¦
 Up
Re: Trouble with Ubuntu for Netbook computers         


Author: *Hemidactylus*
Date: Jun 8, 2010 00:37

On 06/06/2010 02:27 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
>
[snip]
>
> Well, tell the truth, I'm far too busy to troll anything. I'm just a
> senior citizen trying to make sense of the Linux world. It's
> sufficiently different from what we're used to that questions are
> inevitable. And, if this newsgroup doesn't exist to help others and to
> share ideas, why does it exist at all?

From my experience usenet is a place more like UFC or MMA than a place
for measured intellectual discourse or help. You've gotta develop a
thick skin or use a killfile. I have a thick skin.
Show full article (1.59Kb)
3 Comments
Re: Trouble with Ubuntu for Netbook computers         


Author: NoOp
Date: Jun 8, 2010 01:58

On 06/07/2010 03:37 PM, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
>>
> [snip]
...
> The Ubuntu forums may be a friendlier place overall, but newsgroups tend
> to be more dynamic and faster paced and less restrained (which can be
> good or bad). I agree this place ideally should be a place to get
> helpful answers or to provide them when one reaches a critical knowledge
> threshold where that's possible. Often it is, but other times we get
> into bloods vs. crips mode and innocent people get caught in the
> crossfire. There are a lot of Windows advocates out there who enjoy
> trashing Ubuntu, Linux and FOSS every chance they get.

I'd also recommend the ubuntu users list. Given that Jeffery already
knows how to use an nntp client, I'd recommend subscribing via gmane.org
so that you don't have to download a crapload of emails each day. Just
point your nntp client to news.gmane.org & subscribe to
gmane.linux.ubuntu.user

Read this *before* you post:
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists
Show full article (1.22Kb)
no comments
Re: Trouble with Ubuntu for Netbook computers         


Author: Jeffrey Needle
Date: Jun 8, 2010 07:43

*Hemidactylus* wrote:
> On 06/06/2010 02:27 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> Well, tell the truth, I'm far too busy to troll anything. I'm just a
>> senior citizen trying to make sense of the Linux world. It's
>> sufficiently different from what we're used to that questions are
>> inevitable. And, if this newsgroup doesn't exist to help others and to
>> share ideas, why does it exist at all?
>
> From my experience usenet is a place more like UFC or MMA than a place
> for measured intellectual discourse or help. You've gotta develop a
> thick skin or use a killfile. I have a thick skin.
>
> The Ubuntu forums may be a friendlier place overall, but newsgroups tend
> to be more dynamic and faster paced and less restrained (which can be
> good or bad). I agree this place ideally should be a place to get
> helpful answers or to provide them when one reaches a critical knowledge
> threshold where that's possible. Often it is, but other times we get ...
Show full article (1.95Kb)
no comments
Re: Trouble with Ubuntu for Netbook computers         


Author: Jeffrey Needle
Date: Jun 8, 2010 07:43

NoOp wrote:
> On 06/07/2010 03:37 PM, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
>>>
>> [snip]
> ...
>> The Ubuntu forums may be a friendlier place overall, but newsgroups tend
>> to be more dynamic and faster paced and less restrained (which can be
>> good or bad). I agree this place ideally should be a place to get
>> helpful answers or to provide them when one reaches a critical knowledge
>> threshold where that's possible. Often it is, but other times we get
>> into bloods vs. crips mode and innocent people get caught in the
>> crossfire. There are a lot of Windows advocates out there who enjoy
>> trashing Ubuntu, Linux and FOSS every chance they get.
>
> I'd also recommend the ubuntu users list. Given that Jeffery already
> knows how to use an nntp client, I'd recommend subscribing via gmane.org
> so that you don't have to download a crapload of emails each day. Just
> point your nntp client to news.gmane.org& subscribe to
> gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
> ...
Show full article (1.36Kb)
no comments