'300' draws crowds in Greece despite critics

Date: Apr 3, 2007 01:32

'300' draws crowds in Greece despite critics
April 2, 2007

BY NATHALIE RENDEVSKI SAVARICAS

ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

THERMOPYLAE, Greece -- Greece's critics hated "300," but moviegoers here are
lining up to watch the gory re-creation of the Battle of Thermopylae in
record numbers -- happy to lap up the Hollywood thrills and take an
indulgent view of what detractors call a butchery of their history.

The film had a record opening weekend in Greece with 325,000 ticket sales.
That easily exceeded the previous mark set last year by "Pirates of the
Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" (220,000).

Inspired by Frank Miller's graphic novel, the movie directed by Zach Snyder
is about 300 Spartans led by King Leonidas holding off hundreds of thousands
of invading Persians -- and the odd imaginary monster -- at a mountain pass
in Greece.
Critics dismissed the movie as gratuitously violent and historically
inaccurate, one magazine described it as a "bloodlust videogame."

They were soon drowned out by moviegoers.
Show full article (2.58Kb)
3 Comments
Re: '300' draws crowds in Greece despite critics

Author: Protagoras
Date: Apr 3, 2007 19:32

Elpizw na xrisimopoiithei san ergaleio afypnisis

Response to:
'300' draws crowds in Greece despite critics
no comments
Re: '300' draws crowds in Greece despite critics

Author: deowll
Date: Apr 4, 2007 01:35

Author: Protagoras
Date: Apr 4, 2007 01:58

I want that movie to become Greece's Torah
no comments