[Update] ReactOS Project

Author: Bear Bottoms
Date: Aug 13, 2008 01:37

React Operating System
http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

ReactOS
20 Comments
Re: [Update] ReactOS Project

Author: Mark Warner
Date: Aug 13, 2008 02:26

Bear Bottoms wrote:
> Medium-term plan:
> The coming 0.4 release series will still stay in alpha stage, and 0.5
> release series will be marked as beta, meaning a system which is suitable
> for every day use.

Strange. I've never heard of a beta as "meaning a system which is
suitable for every day use".

Then again, they *are* talking about a Windows replacement...

--
Mark Warner
SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

Author: Bear Bottoms
Date: Aug 13, 2008 02:35

Mark Warner att.net> wrote in
> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>
>> Medium-term plan:
>> The coming 0.4 release series will still stay in alpha stage, and 0.5
>> release series will be marked as beta, meaning a system which is
>> suitable for every day use.
>
> Strange. I've never heard of a beta as "meaning a system which is
> suitable for every day use".
>
> Then again, they *are* talking about a Windows replacement...

It didn't confuse me, of course I'm not reading it with a biased
viewpoint already confirmed. Betas usually are ready for daily use though
with the expectation that you may encounter bugs. Alphas are not...of
course you really knew this didn't you :)
Re: [Update] ReactOS Project

Author: Why Tea
Date: Aug 13, 2008 03:06

Author: Bear Bottoms
Date: Aug 13, 2008 04:01

Why Tea gmail.com> wrote in
> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>> Mark Warner att.net> wrote in

Re: [Update] ReactOS Project

Author: Bear Bottoms
Date: Aug 13, 2008 04:02

Yrrah wrote in news:Dcqok.21235
$KZ.19843@newsfe03.iad:

Author: Why Tea
Date: Aug 13, 2008 05:48

Date: Aug 13, 2008 09:04

I approve of this project regardless of its timing relative to Vista.
I'd be happy to use software intended for XP and previous versions of
Windows; even a bit of DOS thrown in. To be able to do this and
simultaneously to rid my life of Microsoft would ease my life. For
example, I sometimes worry that XP contains some sort of poison pill, or
that MS will release an update later on that'll kill the OS to force all
of us to invest yet again in an OS and equipment.

Am I being paranoid? Would MS even think of doing such a thing? (Excuse
me while I go wash out my brain with soap.)
no comments
Re: [Update] ReactOS Project

Author: Craig
Date: Aug 13, 2008 09:46

me@tadyatam.invalid wrote:
> Yrrah wrote in
>
>> Mark Warner att.net>:
>>
>>> Strange. I've never heard of a beta as "meaning a system
>>> which is suitable for every day use".
>>>
>>> Then again, they *are* talking about a Windows
>>> replacement...

You snide lil' bata^ard .
>> I don't really understand the purpose of this project. No
>> one will write software for Windows XP/2003...
>
> Indeed. One would think that an alpha ver. in its 5th year
> would be enough of a msg even for the developers of ReactOS.
Re: [Update] ReactOS Project

Author: Me Here
Date: Aug 13, 2008 09:48

Richard Steinfeld wrote:
> I approve of this project regardless of its timing relative to Vista.
> I'd be happy to use software intended for XP and previous versions of
> Windows; even a bit of DOS thrown in. To be able to do this and
> simultaneously to rid my life of Microsoft would ease my life. For
> example, I sometimes worry that XP contains some sort of poison pill, or
> that MS will release an update later on that'll kill the OS to force all
> of us to invest yet again in an OS and equipment.
>
> Am I being paranoid? Would MS even think of doing such a thing? (Excuse
> me while I go wash out my brain with soap.)

People are still using Windows 95 and 98 and will probably continue to
do so for some time. I can't see XP dying anytime soon either,
although, MS will give it a helping hand by only allowing new computers
to be sold with Vista installed and not XP.

--

(On going to war over religion:) "You're basically killing each other to
see who's got the better imaginary friend." -- Rich Jeni